• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mickey Mouse Manometer

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Will followup when I use it to sync my carbs in the next couple of days.
The dark cheese head screws are plugging the new vacuum ports.

Manometer.jpg
Port1.jpg
Port2.jpg
Port3wHose.jpg
Holes: upper 2/3 - tapped M5 x 0.8; lower 1/3 - tapped 10-24. Vacuum stubs available in several metric sizes.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The way they make plastic bottles these days, they barely stand up on their own. An arrowhead brand bottle crushes just by putting an opened bottle in the fridge.

Last edited:
Country flag
My sole tip is to be sure that there isn't enough suction to suck up a big plug of water__you have a considerably larger reservoir than the average tube-type manometer! A hole in the sensing tube, something that can be partially blocked with your finger, would be one type of failsafe (I know you can take that little tidbit of info and run with it; no shortage of imagineering on your part ;) ).

I once did just that, it was even tinted with some Dwyer green dye; fortunately, the U-tube that I used doesn't have much capacity, but one good blip of the throttles, and it was gone!

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
D'oh! - Too bad I didn't read the above first! :playful:

They collapsed instantly and car ingested about a tablespoon of water. No harm done.

Will rebuild with glass bottles and follow up.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
GregW - Ha ha - don't mind occasionally taking a wrong turn in my science projects.

Have the new version built with Snapple bottles. Will fire it up probably tomorrow Monday afternoon.

PS - one of the great things about the forum is to get this info out in public for others who want to spin off in their own directions.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Have the new version built with Snapple bottles. Will fire it up probably tomorrow Monday afternoon.

Didn't you see in the video that you're suppose to use Corona bottles?? I know from experience at Healey Week you SoCal guys have lots of empty ones around. :wink-new:

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OK - did the sync with the snapple bottles. Worked well, though have to say the crudeness of the linkage is the main problem with getting a good sync. No balance screw like the Webers or 240Z SUs. The 16oz snapple bottles are a little small. 750 or quart glass bottles would be better as they give you more water to work with.

In my case, the rear carb seemed to have more draw, so I adjusted the fast-idle screw back and forth on the front carb to achieve balance.

IMO it's better than the other methods because you don't have to remove the air cleaners.

GlassManometer.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
750 or quart glass bottles would be better as they give you more water to work with.
With the holiday season around the corner, Broguiere's eggnog will be hitting the shelves in select supermarkets. It comes in glass quarts and the best eggnog by far in my book.