• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wire Wheels and Top installed

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
I finally have my wire wheels and top installed. Once I had the correct hubs to convert from bolt on hubs up front, the install was pretty straight forward. I had the rear hubs redrilled by a local machine shop to 4.5" to fit the Ford rear end. The top also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to fit. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome and the car looks so much better without the wide tires and centerline wheels!

IMG_8670.JPGIMG_8666.JPGIMG_8759.JPGIMG_8760.JPGIMG_8764.JPGIMG_8762.JPG

55modified

What kind of steering set up do you have there?

OP
aero3113

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
I'm not 100% sure, it was installed when I bought the car. Maybe from a sprite I think.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
coming along nicely and looking good keith!

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not 100% sure, it was installed when I bought the car. Maybe from a sprite I think.
It would be great to know, or maybe another picture of the rack. About the only thing I would like to change about my car is the steering.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Country flag
It would be great to know, or maybe another picture of the rack. About the only thing I would like to change about my car is the steering.
The biggest drawback, for me anyway, is I've yet to see an upgraded steering system that allows use of the original turn-signal function.

As my original trafficator still works (only taken apart to be cleaned/lubed twice in the last 40 years) I'm reluctant to do away with it. I suppose with some clever engineering, a 4-circuit slip-ring could be adapted/fabricated, and hidden somewhere under the dash, but you still have to get those wires out from the center of the column...

OP
aero3113

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
Here are some more pics, hope they help. If anyone knows what the rack is from, please let me know.
6ECB5060-F289-45C4-84B5-497D8C70B1A0.jpeg3D4F76B6-296A-4B8C-8D36-91E9D357AC31.jpeg2884052D-AA36-4326-84AB-3AFB39A89694.jpeg85F2E4DF-C16A-49FC-BE02-4208AA5B0A38.jpeg

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

On that note, has anyone installed the DWR improved box? They claim it's 'the next best thing to rack-and-pinion?'

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The biggest drawback, for me anyway, is I've yet to see an upgraded steering system that allows use of the original turn-signal function.

As my original trafficator still works (only taken apart to be cleaned/lubed twice in the last 40 years) I'm reluctant to do away with it. I suppose with some clever engineering, a 4-circuit slip-ring could be adapted/fabricated, and hidden somewhere under the dash, but you still have to get those wires out from the center of the column...
Randy, I agree. Ultimately, like a lot of things Healey, this is a study in compromise. Better, more precise steering? Self canceling turn signals? Take your pick, you can't have both. I 'm used to a toggle for turn signals--that's what's on my Sprite, and that is what was on the BJ8 originally when we bought it. There was a toggle screwed to the steering wheel in place of the trafficator! Eventually my dad wired in a buzzer so we would not be driving around with the turn signal going. I was embarrassed by the buzzer. Eventually he sourced a used trafficator and all was well. But I think I would trade off in favor of the steering.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On that note, has anyone installed the DWR improved box? They claim it's 'the next best thing to rack-and-pinion?'
And on yet another note, does rack and pinion do anything for slow speed heaviness? I know my Sprite steering is very light and a delight to use, but of course the car is very light. Rick's electric rack and pinion is really intriguing--possibly because having just turned 55 I am probably officially really old so power steering sounds good to me!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's my WAG, based on a little experience with Sprites and big Healeys. A rack and pinion would probably take all that slop that is inherent in the big Healey's worm and roller out of the equation. But you still have that heavy lump of a motor hanging over the front end weighing down on the steering and tires, making the steering slow. I know when I put the lighter V8 in the BJ7 it made the steering much quicker and lighter. Perhaps a power assist on the steering would make it a little lighter and quicker. The rack and pinion (non-power) kits I've seen for the Healey require quite a bit of work as the steering column will pass through the radiator without some jiggering around. I've never heard of anyone putting an electric rack on a Healey and don't know what clearance issues there would be (not to mention a complete lack of originality that could easily be seen). For those of us that have driven Sprites, the big Healey handling has always been a let-down.