Thread: Value of a Complete Motor disassembled?

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Value of a Complete Motor disassembled?

I have a complete disassembled TR3 motor that I would like to sell. Block,crank,cylinder head etc.All parts have been cleaned. I realize that everything depends on condition but everything looks useable. It comes with two sets of pistons...one set is 83mm and the other set is 86mm. Anyone have a guesstimate of what the motor might be worth?

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Re: Value of a Complete Motor disassembled?

Karl,
    To me it sounds like you have a complete motor needing a complete rebuild. The fact that the parts have been cleaned does little to nothing for getting those parts ready to put back into an engine. If you had a local buyer I would guess you could ask $300 to 500. Or you could sell it in parts and possibly get more. The value in a rebuilt engine is in the $2,000 or so that it takes to grind the crank, rebuild the head, replace the pistons and liners and change out all of the bearings.
    Charley

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by charleyf View Post
    Karl,
    To me it sounds like you have a complete motor needing a complete rebuild. The fact that the parts have been cleaned does little to nothing for getting those parts ready to put back into an engine. If you had a local buyer I would guess you could ask $300 to 500. Or you could sell it in parts and possibly get more. The value in a rebuilt engine is in the $2,000 or so that it takes to grind the crank, rebuild the head, replace the pistons and liners and change out all of the bearings.
    Charley
    That's what I figured. Around $500 seeing as how it's not just an oily seized up lump from a barn. Mind you I did sell a cylinder head locally for $400. Supply and demand I guess.

Chats

Karl,

Just as an FYI, there is a local guy to me here in Ontario who has been trying to sell a disassembled TR3 block on Kijjiji for $500 for several months. No takers yet...I sold a clean complete block but In unknown condition about 7 years ago for $300. So, I am thinking $400 would be around the going price.

Cheers
    Tush
    81 TR8, SATPL
    73 TR6 CF4874UO
    68 TR250 CD5228LO,
    60 TR3A TS69891LO, 60 TR3A TS64870L, 59 TR3A TS44836LO

Chats

May be a tough sell.

When a local guy who dealt in used Triumph parts was closing out his business he was giving away 4 cylinder TR blocks - but couldn't get takers for most of them.

If someone really needs one then there's your customer -- but for most it is not something they will ever need and certainly not need a spare.

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

There might be a weird o like me out there that would like to replace the TR4 engine now in his early 3 and the 4 engine number is not even close to his commission number of his 3. Giving the number of the engine for sale (TSxxxxxE) might just help. If you need me to explain you really would not understand.

Lou Metelko
    Auburn, Indiana

Chats

Not weird at all Lou.

I had quite neglected that possibility. Yeah, if you can get an engine number higher than the commission number but within reason then that is 'good enough' for a judge as TRs do not have a detailed data plate like some marques I could name.

Chats

I just gave one away 9 months ago.
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

Anybody in the market would want to have the reusable components (head, block, crank) crack checked, the cam miced. They are really not worth the cost of shipping in unknown condition and barely that if good. I have almost two old engines that sit and slowly rust. Sorry.
    Bob