• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pictures From My Cross Country Trip.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - thanks for the photos!

As you drove coast to coast, did you notice that most of the motel/hotel breakfasts were exactly the same no matter what state you were in, or what motel franchise? Same pastries, same powdered eggs, mystery sausage, waffle machine, cereal selection, and drinks?

That's one thing I remember about my own coast to coast back in 2013.

Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Continental Breakfast? The hotel management need to visit Europe to see what a Continental Breakfast really is.

David

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes I did notice that. Most times I'd just eat cereal,or instant oatmeal,
& yogurt,if they had any.Last one was a Howard Johnsons,which seemed to be
spending as little as possible on things.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Like the pix! Spent a few years in Virginia, pleasant memories of it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I hate most of the toasters. Often they don't work well and some manage to toss your bagel on the floor. The best type is the conveyor type but they are probable cost more to run as the heater is on all the time.

Several hotels I have stayed at in Germany have a cook standing by to cook your eggs. Not a high end hotel either.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As you drove coast to coast, did you notice that most of the motel/hotel breakfasts were exactly the same no matter what state you were in, or what motel franchise? Same pastries, same powdered eggs, mystery sausage, waffle machine, cereal selection, and drinks?

Tom M.

because of course they are the same. Basically one supplier dominates the industry - off the top of my head it might be CARA foods but I don't remember

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I thought that it was interesting that,in Cedar Rapids,Iowa,
the had Kelloggs cereals,when Quaker Oats has a plant there.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
After I'd "experienced" about a dozen of those pre-packaged "hot" breakfasts, I started seeking out Cracker Barrel. Memories, memories.

o.jpg

My blood pressure is going up just by looking at that photo. Eggs, grits, hash browns, biscuits, gravy, pork chop, stewed apples, black coffee ... swoon.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Ahhh, traveling breakfasts. I recently hit upon two Embassy Suites locations. They both had a complimentary cocktail hour, and one of the finest breakfasts I have had while traveling. Don't know if this is their industry norm, but the breakfast is great; and free. Complete with an "Egg Chef" who will make whatever you desire.

And as far as Cracker Barrel, I have a map of their locations in my center console. I am addicted to their Man in the Boat breakfast.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's one thing about places in the South -
You can get almost everything deep fried.
I'm tempted,but due to being on a tight budget,
I haven't eaten out once since I moved here.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll know when she gets one.She's leaving on Wed.,to drive back here.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I stayed at a Country Inn a few weeks ago and they had an electric waffle iron that you could use to make a fresh waffle in 2 1/2 minutes.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Driving to Florida, we always stopped at Cracker Barrels. Decent food at a decent price plus old fashioned candy and that peg game on the table.