Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: glove box lock

Obi Wan
    Chats

Re: glove box lock

Well I got the trunk lock fixed by replacing the cylinder with one that did not have a broken little peg then I moved my tumbles to that cylinder, so now I can use the one key, like 25 years ago.

I thought I would move on to my project car doors with my new found lock knowledge, but I hit a wall. I got the pins out of the frame, but I cannot get the cylinders to come out of the housing. Do you have solution for that PJ? Or someone else have an idea. I am thinking of throwing them on the floor and see if the cylinder pops out!!!!! I was going to try some heat on the shaft, but my caveman stuff usually gets me behind, so anyone have fineness’ move they would like to share.
    steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chats

By "cylinder" do you mean the lock barrel? Your photo shows what appears to be a lock barrel sitting next to the handle,
    so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    IIRC the lock barrel cannot be (easily) removed from the case unless the working key is inserted.
    Frank

Obi Wan
    Chats

Yes that is the problem Frank, I have a key but it will notgo in--- probably too oxidized.

Try soaking it in some boiling water?
    JP TS 35123 L (Family Resto)
    I can only gauge the quality of a friendship based on how hard it will be to shoot you when you turn into a Zombie; R.S.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pucman/...7608177739192/
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u418/Pucman1/TR3A/

Obi Wan
    Chats

I tried the boil water JP but the key will not go in on either door lock. It is really a moot point because these cars have plastic sliding windows anyway. I was just trying to fix everything. I am open to any other ideas, like throwing them out of a plane over Virginia and see if you can hit them with your lawnmower and open them that way. The chrome handles themselves or in very good condition with no pitting, so I will probably just put them on before I do something stupid like heating them up and ruining the look.

If I ever build one of those tanks that makes the oxidation fall off again, I will drop them in that. We used to have a place in town that would submerge a whole car and everything fell off that was not the body, but the local EPA closed them down. It was amazing to see a car that came out of one of those tanks, but the metal look odd to me like it had been changed somehow.
    steve

Chats

I thought I posted this already, but doesn't seem to have taken:

You could try soaking in warm vinegar. That's what I use to remove the scale on all our shower heads and such. Another thought is straight Coca Cola. The acid in Coke dissolves a large number of compounds, and could release the locks.

Just thoughts...
    John

1955 TR2

If you want I will try to free them up pm me
    JP TS 35123 L (Family Resto)
    I can only gauge the quality of a friendship based on how hard it will be to shoot you when you turn into a Zombie; R.S.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pucman/...7608177739192/
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u418/Pucman1/TR3A/

Obi Wan
    Chats

Ok PJ sounds like a great offer; they are to me really stuck, so you will need your bag of tricks. I will have the plane slow down and drop them in your mail box with the key.
    steve
    OH last I saw you guys were working on a frame. I have an old rusty one out back, but perhaps things like shock towers and cross members are still good and I can cut them out with a saws-all and put some stamps on them
    Peace out