• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with clutch bleeding on BJ8

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Guys,

The clutch master cylinder on my 66' BJ8 was leaking into the footwell so time for a rebuild. I'm reasonably confident I replaced the rubber seals OK with the kit and put the MC back together and back into the car. I fashioned a Norman Nock type wrench to gain access to the clutch slave bleed screw which we all know is tough to get to!
The problem is I can't get any brake fluid to move thru the lines bleeding it as I have like the brake system(tube connected to bleed nipple and in jar of fluid with assistant moving cluth pedal). All the connections are tight but the clutch pedal is moving just on the springs not taking any fluid in. Any suggestions welcome!

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have always manually pushed the slave pushrod back in the bore to be sure all the air is bled out because I don't feel the clutch arm does a good job of returning the push rod all the way back in. I feel if this is not done, there is always some air left not pushed out and that air compresses and inhibits a good bleed of the system.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Does the slave have to be disconnected from the fork to get the rod back in the bore? Also, how is the MC bench bled?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bench bleeding the MC gets brake fluid into the MC so it can push it out to the slave cylinder. Usually, it's done on the workbench. If you have already installed the MC, there are a couple of things you might try:

1. If you have a small syringe, disconnect the inlet and outlet lines from the MC. Use the syringe to drip brake fluid into the MC inlet until it's full. Then reconnect the inlet line from the reservoir to the MC and connect some clear vinyl tubing from the MC outlet back to the fill opening on the reservoir. Pump the clutch pedal until no more air is seen in the vinyl tube.
  2. If you have a way to gently pressurize the reservoir, open the slave cylinder bleed screw and pressurize the reservoir to push fluid through the system. No more than 10 - 15 psi is required. I just used a Gunnison Eezibleed to do mine last week. As long as you can get a good seal on the MC reservoir, it works like a charm.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John, I tried your first suggestion. The innards/seals inside of the MC must be ok because when I ran the tube from the outlet to the reservoir I see fluid being moved back and forth but cant seem to get all the air out of the line. A small air pocket moves about mid tube a few inches back and forth. Am i taking the tube off both ends when it is completely full no bubbles then reconnecting the outlet tube? Also just to clarify: Bleed screw is cracked open for the downstoke then clutch pedal is held down until screw tight again then clutch released?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John, I tried your first suggestion. The innards/seals inside of the MC must be ok because when I ran the tube from the outlet to the reservoir I see fluid being moved back and forth but cant seem to get all the air out of the line. A small air pocket moves about mid tube a few inches back and forth. Am i taking the tube off both ends when it is completely full no bubbles then reconnecting the outlet tube? Also just to clarify: Bleed screw is cracked open for the downstoke then clutch pedal is held down until screw tight again then clutch released?

To clarify, to bleed the master cylinder (MC):
  1. The line from the MC to the slave cylinder (SC) is first disconnected from the MC; the bleed screw is out of the picture, but leave it closed so fluid doesn't run onto the floor.
  2. Connect the clear tubing to the outlet of the MC where you just disconnected the line to the SC.
  3. Put the other end of the clear tube in the reservoir.
  4. Now pump the clutch pedal. Fluid should only move one way - from the MC to the reservoir.
  5. When all the air is out of the clear tube, disconnect it from the MC and let it drain into the reservoir.
  6. Connect the line to the SC back to the MC outlet and proceed as you were before.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks John, will give this a try in addition to blowing out that line with compressed air to eliminate a possible blockage there!