Thread: Help with clutch bleeding on BJ8

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

Help with clutch bleeding on BJ8

Guys,

The clutch master cylinder on my 66' BJ8 was leaking into the footwell so time for a rebuild. I'm reasonably confident I replaced the rubber seals OK with the kit and put the MC back together and back into the car. I fashioned a Norman Nock type wrench to gain access to the clutch slave bleed screw which we all know is tough to get to!
    The problem is I can't get any brake fluid to move thru the lines bleeding it as I have like the brake system(tube connected to bleed nipple and in jar of fluid with assistant moving cluth pedal). All the connections are tight but the clutch pedal is moving just on the springs not taking any fluid in. Any suggestions welcome!
    Scot (1966 Austin Healey BJ8)

Chats

Re: Help with clutch bleeding on BJ8

I have always manually pushed the slave pushrod back in the bore to be sure all the air is bled out because I don't feel the clutch arm does a good job of returning the push rod all the way back in. I feel if this is not done, there is always some air left not pushed out and that air compresses and inhibits a good bleed of the system.

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Did you bench bleed the MC first?

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

Does the slave have to be disconnected from the fork to get the rod back in the bore? Also, how is the MC bench bled?

Chats

Bench bleeding the MC gets brake fluid into the MC so it can push it out to the slave cylinder. Usually, it's done on the workbench. If you have already installed the MC, there are a couple of things you might try:

1. If you have a small syringe, disconnect the inlet and outlet lines from the MC. Use the syringe to drip brake fluid into the MC inlet until it's full. Then reconnect the inlet line from the reservoir to the MC and connect some clear vinyl tubing from the MC outlet back to the fill opening on the reservoir. Pump the clutch pedal until no more air is seen in the vinyl tube.
    2. If you have a way to gently pressurize the reservoir, open the slave cylinder bleed screw and pressurize the reservoir to push fluid through the system. No more than 10 - 15 psi is required. I just used a Gunnison Eezibleed to do mine last week. As long as you can get a good seal on the MC reservoir, it works like a charm.
    John, BN4

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

John, I tried your first suggestion. The innards/seals inside of the MC must be ok because when I ran the tube from the outlet to the reservoir I see fluid being moved back and forth but cant seem to get all the air out of the line. A small air pocket moves about mid tube a few inches back and forth. Am i taking the tube off both ends when it is completely full no bubbles then reconnecting the outlet tube? Also just to clarify: Bleed screw is cracked open for the downstoke then clutch pedal is held down until screw tight again then clutch released?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    John, I tried your first suggestion. The innards/seals inside of the MC must be ok because when I ran the tube from the outlet to the reservoir I see fluid being moved back and forth but cant seem to get all the air out of the line. A small air pocket moves about mid tube a few inches back and forth. Am i taking the tube off both ends when it is completely full no bubbles then reconnecting the outlet tube? Also just to clarify: Bleed screw is cracked open for the downstoke then clutch pedal is held down until screw tight again then clutch released?
    To clarify, to bleed the master cylinder (MC):
    1. The line from the MC to the slave cylinder (SC) is first disconnected from the MC; the bleed screw is out of the picture, but leave it closed so fluid doesn't run onto the floor.
    2. Connect the clear tubing to the outlet of the MC where you just disconnected the line to the SC.
    3. Put the other end of the clear tube in the reservoir.
    4. Now pump the clutch pedal. Fluid should only move one way - from the MC to the reservoir.
    5. When all the air is out of the clear tube, disconnect it from the MC and let it drain into the reservoir.
    6. Connect the line to the SC back to the MC outlet and proceed as you were before.
    John, BN4

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

Thanks John, will give this a try in addition to blowing out that line with compressed air to eliminate a possible blockage there!