• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

In need of a really loud horn

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ok after almost getting Bugsy trashed by a Soccer Mom in a SUV yesterday when she changed lanes on me without looking. Only my lightning reflexes and Bugsy’s ability to avoid idiots saved me. And unfortunately his wimpy horn did nothing to draw to Driver’s attention as I rendered a one fingered salute.

So so what are other LBC driver’s recommending in the way of a 150db horn to keep from getting run over. I am jealous of a guy around her who has 2 actual train horn 5 foot trumpets bolted to the roof of an old Buick Beater. For several years I could never figure out ehy I was hearing a train horn when the closest train tracks are at least 5 miles away. And then one day I was in traffic and saw someone cut this car off and he unleashed the might of compressed air and multiple trumpets. Granted not practical with Bugsy but looking for something a bit louder that draws attention. Recommendations gentlemen?

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those Fiamms are what I have on my Sprite. Nice and loud.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My introduction to FIAMMs came about because they were standard equipment on the Fiat 124 Spider. The Spider had a small back seat you could reach by tipping the front seatback forward. But if you weren't careful, the headrest would land right on the horn button and scare the crap out of you. They are really pretty loud and fit in a relatively small space. You could probably mount them behind the grille or on the inner fenderwell. They sound like this:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
HealeyRick, I didn't know you were a former Fiat 124 owner. I have owned 3 of them in the past, 2 coupes and 1 spyder. Fun little cars. They all came with the FIAMM horns. And yes, I kept at least one and it is the horn in my Prefect.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
HealeyRick, I didn't know you were a former Fiat 124 owner. I have owned 3 of them in the past, 2 coupes and 1 spyder. Fun little cars. They all came with the FIAMM horns. And yes, I kept at least one and it is the horn in my Prefect.

Yep, I owned a nice yellow 1970 Spider that got totaled when I was rear-ended on Boston's SE XWay one night. Car had just 13,000 miles on it. It was replaced by a '72 French Blue Spider that I put 135k on before trading it on an X 1/9 that I drove for 105k before selling it. I really loved the Spiders and look wistfully at the ads for them. Probably one of the best values in a sports car if you can find a rust-free one.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rick That's just the ticket. A gal in my office in Milwaukee had a 124 Spider in early '80's. I can recall her having 1) L & R Mirrors fell off of the car 2) Front Bumper Fell Off 3) Rear Bumper fell off. All over a 6 month period.Now the fact that she was single at the time and a pretty heavy drinker might have had something to do with that.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ordered tonight, here on Monday. $34.95 w tax and Amazon Prime. And I found horn in chrome.More bling.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ordered tonight, here on Monday. $34.95 w tax and Amazon Prime. And I found horn in chrome.More bling.

I saw that one too.. The relay probably isn't worth the extra $30, but you'll still want one.

You're gonna LOVE that horn.

matmire

I have the Nautilus horn. It's a loud one! I eventually added a second smaller horn, with a push-button, for those more friendly honk situations. I call it my courtesy horn.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
While law enforcement might frown on it, a Federal Signal Q Siren would definitely get someone's attention: 123 db at 10 feet.

I have a Federal Signal WL Series siren light for my Plymouth project. Unfortunately, something happened to the motor during shipment, so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

zabond

Country flag
word of warning: I purchased a Stebel Nautilus and thought I'd try it before fitting, so connected a couple of short jumper cables lent over the engine and connected them to the battery, my ears were still ringing two days later!!
Russ