• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Engine mount questions

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
A couple simple questions:

1. In the TR4A frame, there are two holes where the engine mounts could be installed. When I tore down my TR4A, the mounts were in the rearmost set of holes. Is that correct?

I ask because there were some indications that the engine was too far back--but if it were, I think the holes in the transmission wouldn't line up with those in the trans mount, correct?

2. I noticed there are two mounts used in TR4s and 4As: a round one and a square one. My car had the round mount, which I assume was the correct one. When were the square ones used?

In other news, my frame is now finished and I have started mounting parts on it. That's a milestone, I think!

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 110

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I believe the rear hole is the correct hole; this is how mine was. I have not put my car back together yet, but am not sure there is enough play in the rear axle, driveshaft and motor to allow the "wrong" hole to be used??

I used the rectangular mount, as that is what I had. Not sure what is original to the car / correct. The spare parts catalog calls for p/n 130985; the round one sold by TRF. Moss claims round is for TR4, square for TR4A, but not sure how correct that statement is, given the spare parts catalog calls out the round.

Congrats on the finished frame! Mounting parts to it is fun; just don't let people see you sitting where the driver's seat goes, making "vroom vroom" noises!

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Probably won't get any more, but it's good to have some confirmation on the mount location. As for square vs. round, it is just curiosity; no practical need to know.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not definitive of course, but my 1962 TR4 had the round engine mounts when I took it apart. I have no reason to believe they weren't original to the car.

Matt

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Is it difficult to change the fan belt on a TR4A? It is on a TR4 because of the very tight clearance between the crank hub and the steering rack. I added some shims under the motor mount to raise the engine about 1/8" which has seemed to have been okay and allows the belt to slip thru there more easily. I also shimmed the radiator a like amount to make the upper hose aligned correctly.

This was with the round mounts -- so for shim I just used matching diameter washers (bi washers) from the hardware store.

Wolfy

Freshman Member
I have mine in the rear holes. I changed over to the round type of engine mounts seen on Land Rovers and other vehicles as they handle loads in all directions well. I know others have also done this mod with positive views.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I use the round engine mounts on my two TR4's. The mounts that I got about five years ago were weak and flexed and leaned a whole lot. I did find some better ones at TRF that seem to work a lot better. I almost changed over to the rectangular ones just to get better support.
Charley

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. I did get the TRF mounts, and they are now on the frame. Might be quite a while before I have the engine ready to stick back onto them, though.