• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

interior on a budget...

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

As some of you may recall, i bought this car in July... mostly in boxes. the outside was painted but nothing else was done. i have working on it most every day since. just can't seem to stop... well except when the parts and costs start to pile up. i have decided a new interior is not in this year's budget. a new carpet kit came with the car but the seats and panels have been sitting in some garage for about the last 15 years.

i read somewhere about cleaning up old vinyl with GOOP hand cleaner. So i thought i would try it. it came out quite nicely for the expense. some of it was just too nasty so i decided to paint it with some Color Bond i had left over from the TR6. again i am pretty happy with it.

after doing a few pieces i thought it might be a good idea to take one piece and show it thru the process. Not that anyone else will want to paint their interior but the clean up made quite a difference to a lot of the pieces just by itself. brought some real luster and depth back to the vinyl. anyway here is one of the back seats thru the process.

IMG_0243.jpg

and another piece.
IMG_0244.jpg
So you take the GOOP and spread it on by hand. i bought two tubs on Amazon. i have used one so far so it goes pretty far. after smearing it on, take a brush and rub it in. not much water here, just rub it in with the brush. as the GOOP start to fade in, i sprayed a little water on it to bring out some more goo. then i took the piece outside and rinsed it off with a garden hose.
IMG_0245.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

as you can see from the last post it cleaned up, even after all the years, pretty nicely.
IMG_0246.jpg
Now for me, i was going to paint this seat so my next step was to wipe it all down with mineral spirits.
IMG_0247.jpg
after the wipe down, i sprayed the parts with an adhesion promoter and then a coat of paint. it says to do three light coats (i am always a bit heavy handed) but i did one coat. i did three coats on the TR6 but it looked too flat to me. So this time i did one coat.
IMG_0248.jpg
final result is a deeper color as compared to an unpainted seat.IMG_0249.jpg

and in the car. also included a picture of the dash i did the other day. as i said i plan to work on this part another year after i get thru the engine expenses. right now i just want something that looks clean. for the top of the dash and for the seats, i plan to spray with a satin clear coat. first time trying that but hoping it will help cut down on any wear issues over the next year or so. IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpg

anyway, hoping the cleaning process may help someone.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Excellent work. I have used vinyl dye also. It works great. In my case, I was just painting a black steering wheel to match the interior but the stuff works well. I also painted the seats in my old mini. I have driven about 5000 miles with no wear through on the seats.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
If the rest comes out as nice as your dash and rear seats, then I will predict now that you will go more than a year before replacing them. Looking great.

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If these are the original seat covers and they now look as good as this, then I think you did a great service for the car, keeping the originals.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

Not originals. according to the certificate the car was originally white with a red interior. it was shipped in to Seattle and some how ended up in PA. the PO bought it in 1999. he did not change the colors. the color changes were done before he bought it. he drove the car a few years as a daily driver before he decided have it redone..... fast forward to 2017.

i have had good luck with the paint/dye in my TR6 but i only used it for the interior panels. i replaced the dash and seat covers. So was not sure how well it would hold up here to wear and tear, plus more sun exposure. So i thought i would try some of the clear coat.