• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Door Glass outer seals installation

Herald63nut

After multiple attempts, I am stymied. Can anyone share a tip, trick, or hint as to how to install the glass outer seal in the door with the clips and the special tool for doing so? So far, pray, swearing, and pints have not resulted in success for me in doing so. Thanks!

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread since I'll be doing this work next weekend. Would be interesting to see the different types of tools used by different individuals and which one was the most efficient.

dklawson

Yoda
My method may not work for everyone.

Years ago I made a tool from sheet steel about .040" thick, 1" wide, and about 6" long. I bent a "U" profile onto one end. The width and depth of the U was sized to fit the window waist seal clips. I put double-sided tape in the bottom of the U (changed frequently). I press the clips into the U shape and hold the waist seal in place. With the window rolled down I insert the tool into the gap then pull upward to seat the clip so it secures the waist seal to the door edge.

The double-sided tape helps. Without it you will drop a lot of clips into the bottom of the door and lose your religion. I should also mention that I remove the door card before starting. Even with the double-sided tape I still manage to drop some clips.

The tool I made looks like a wide, straight handled version of the one shown in the thread linked below.
https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1454923

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I also made a tool from an old hacksaw blade (you need heat to bend it) but wound up taking the glass, with the lower channel attached, along with the wing or vent window, with frame and all, to do the outer. It maybe took longer but was less frustrating doing it that way. Tool not needed with the glass out.
The glass and vent assembly can then be worked back in, once you get the right combination. Finally the inner seal goes on from the inside with various tools and levers, a screw driver handle for instance, pushing the little clips on.
PITA but I could never get the clips on with a tool. Probably just me, as I think many others have done it.
Either way, make sure you have a magnet to get the dropped clips out of the bottom of the door.
Tom

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So I look at these tools with the little notch cut out and I'm assuming that is for the small piece of the clip to go into. Well, if that small piece is in that hole/groove how does it grab the door? If the U is towards the outside of the car wouldn't that hole/groove be towards the inside? And then wouldn't the scrape seal be on the wrong side of the tool? Maybe I'm overthinking it and will make sense when I actually start doing it and make my own tool. However, can the scrape seal be put in before I put my window in and just reach up and push the clips into place?

tomshobby

Yoda
First I drilled the 1/8" in the seal strip. Then holding the strip in place I used the first holes as guides to drill the 7/64" holes in the door flange. Last I screwed the strip in place. I used the longer drills to avoid hitting the door cap with the drill chuck.

IMG_1907[1].jpg IMG_1910[1].jpg IMG_1906[1].jpg

McMasterCarr
Short-Flute Extended-Length Drill Bit

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
So I look at these tools with the little notch cut out and I'm assuming that is for the small piece of the clip to go into. Well, if that small piece is in that hole/groove how does it grab the door? If the U is towards the outside of the car wouldn't that hole/groove be towards the inside? And then wouldn't the scrape seal be on the wrong side of the tool? Maybe I'm overthinking it and will make sense when I actually start doing it and make my own tool. However, can the scrape seal be put in before I put my window in and just reach up and push the clips into place?

If my assumption that you are working on a Herald with a vent window is correct, the window will go in with the scraper on, but you will need to slide the vent assembly and main window in together. At least that's the only way I could make it work. The glass will also go in without the bottom channel, but that doesn't get you much as you will then need to put that channel back on inside the door.
Tom
Tom