Thread: Another Steering Question...

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Another Steering Question...

How much side to side movement from center should there be on the steering wheel when the steering box and the rest of the front end components have been replaced?

Chats

Re: Another Steering Question...

Are you asking for the play or the number of turns from stop to stop?
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

Free play should be next to nothing. the only play is in the box and it is just enough not to have any binding on the worm. the Lock to lock is in the Haynes manual and mine is in the garage right now and it is 40 degrees outside @2:00 am.
    Bob

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

What I meant was: that with the front end of the car on jack stands and you were to turn the steering wheel , would the front wheels move immediately corresponding to the steering wheel or would they move only after the steering wheel had moved a couple inches before contact was made. In other words how much slop should there be in the steering wheel before the wheels begin to turn? Seems to me all the TR3's that I've been around seem to have varying degrees of slop in the steering wheel.

Chats

Like Bob says...I also have zero slop in mine, but that is a fresh rebuild. With zero slop it is a bit harder to maneuver at slow speeds with the steering effort. I think it’s worth it, though, to remove all play at speed.

I think most rebuilds shoot for about 1-2 inches of play measured at the rim of the steering wheel. More than 2 inches is definitely too much.
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    I think most rebuilds shoot for about 1-2 inches of play measured at the rim of the steering wheel.
    Now that's in my ballpark.
    Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under restoration year 6, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1973 Buick Apollo (was Dad's car)
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Chats

I have about 1 to 1.5" free play measured from the rim of the steering wheel. I have the apron off, radiator and engine out. I attempted to remove the silent bloc to free the steering box to check free play, but could not get the nut off because the top turned even when the outer part was held with a vice grip. After finding this post, I wonder if I shouldn't just leave well enough alone. Is there consensus that 1 - 2 inches of play is acceptable?
    58 TR3
    80 TR8

Chats

Zero is optimal, but 1" to 1.5" is better than most Model A Fords, so your present amount should get you down the road OK.

I have noticeably more play after my recent rebuild than before it. (But on the plus side, it doesn't leak any more. ) I would like it tighter. Plan to have another go at it this winter.
    60 TR3A TS66043

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by JFS View Post
    I have about 1 to 1.5" free play measured from the rim of the steering wheel...Is there consensus that 1 - 2 inches of play is acceptable?
    In my opinion that is fine and close to normal. I would actually be wary of a set-up that resulted in zero play.

If you do decide to replace the Silent Blocs it sounds like your angle grinder will be of more use than a wrench.

Chats

I was thinking of trying a nut splitter. Even though this would be a good time to do the box, I'm seriously thinking of letting well enough alone.
    58 TR3
    80 TR8

Chats

Used to work with a mechanic who called the nut splitter in his toolbox "The Princess", after his ex-wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkilts View Post
    I have noticeably more play after my recent rebuild than before it. (But on the plus side, it doesn't leak any more. ) I would like it tighter. Plan to have another go at it this winter.
    After reading this thread, perhaps I had it too tight before the rebuild, and now it's just right. But it felt better when it was tighter. Now it feels like the car has a mind of it's own just a bit.
    60 TR3A TS66043

Obi Wan
    Chats

Yes Geo is there the grinder is the surgical tool here or there for that application JFS, you stuck now.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkilts View Post
    After reading this thread, perhaps I had it too tight before the rebuild, and now it's just right. But it felt better when it was tighter. Now it feels like the car has a mind of it's own just a bit.
    I know the purists will label me a blasphemer but my TR3 was always hunting, so much that I knew I had to do something. It just was not safe. I installed the Moss steering rack conversion this summer (along with new springs, Koni shocks, poly bushings, etc) and I am so happy with it. I've had the car for over 25 years, went through the steering long ago using standard parts and methods and it was a little better but still hunted. With the steering rack it is very tight. The down side I think the turning radius might be a bit larger now, but I can't really be sure. This hasn't been as issue but that part does seem different. The more modern technology (I'm sorry to say) is simply superior to the old steering box - but it isn't stock. I'll run for cover now.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.
    1959 TR3 SN42940

Quote Originally Posted by mt10flyer View Post
    I know the purists will label me a blasphemer but my TR3 was always hunting, so much that I knew I had to do something. It just was not safe. I installed the Moss steering rack conversion this summer (along with new springs, Koni shocks, poly bushings, etc) and I am so happy with it. I've had the car for over 25 years, went through the steering long ago using standard parts and methods and it was a little better but still hunted. With the steering rack it is very tight. The down side I think the turning radius might be a bit larger now, but I can't really be sure. This hasn't been as issue but that part does seem different. The more modern technology (I'm sorry to say) is simply superior to the old steering box - but it isn't stock. I'll run for cover now.
    I'm planning to do most of that stuff this winter, minus the rack. We'll see what happens.
    60 TR3A TS66043

Chats

And that's why I adjust zero-lash. The OEM gearbox will tighten to work great with no play...but it will never park as easily as a rack will.
    John

1955 TR2

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    And that's why I adjust zero-lash. The OEM gearbox will tighten to work great with no play...but it will never park as easily as a rack will.
    Best TR-3 steering I ever drove was a TR-4 rack adapted to the 3...

Hey Yoda - like the TR-2 - I had a 54 for awhile - RHD long door.

TR-2.jpg
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe