Thread: AH 3000 engine leaks

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AH 3000 engine leaks

OK. Truth to be told, my BT7 is a bit of a British Bulldog, in that it likes to mark its' territory. Several years ago, I installed one of the Moss rear engine seal kits to try to stem the seepage. The bugger still leaks. My friends with paved driveways cringe when I come over to visit and I have to park on the street, before they'll open the door. Should I just make new friends? I've seen photos on the BCF site of folks who have rigged up some sheet metal pans to catch the leaks, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Is there a solution, short of driving to Lourdes, or installing a huge diaper? Should I just accept it, and resort to alcohol? So many questions.....

Ta.

D.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Re: AH 3000 engine leaks

A PCV setup will cut the leakage down considerably. My engine builder outdid himself, and my BJ8's engine hasn't leaked a drop in over 5K miles (the gearbox and OD are another story however):

IMG_0418.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Congratulations, Bob. Wish I could say the same. My leaks were much better before the rebuild.

Depending on where they are located, serious stopping of the leaks can be a major program involving removal of the radiator, transmission, starter, engine rear plate and flywheel. Jack up the front of the engine; seal the front engine cover and plate. Seal the rear plate to the engine, especially around the cam bearing hole. Seal the rear seal carrier to the block. Seal the vertical joints of the rear main bearing. Carefully fit and seal/install the cork pieces around the rear main, as well as the pan gasket. Use hylomar on the pan gasket. Do not over-tighten pan bolts. It goes on and on.

I like Aviation Form A Gasket and Hylomar.

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the engine or transmission is the one leaking if the leaks are near the flywheel.

EngRearSealedFormaGasket.jpg
    Last edited by steveg; 10-15-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

My builder essentially refused to fit the rear crank seal from Moss I provided, saying there was no adequate way for the oil to drain back. I think I might have a little seepage from the timing cover seal, though (I'm trying not to look too close). Those buggers don't seem to hold up, no matter how well fitted, in my experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I ran the rear seal for years, with and without the pcv. I'd get a drop out of there every couple of weeks, if that.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the engine or transmission is the one leaking if the leaks are near the flywheel.
    If it has been more than a week since an oil change, the engine oil will be dark while the transmission oil looks like new oil. At least in my case.
    John, BN4