• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Overheating 1957 TR-3

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a 1957 TR-3 with a upgraded engine; 87mm pistons, oversized valves, Isky cam, Mallory ignition headers and a Monza exhaust system. The car went through a complete restoration in Ottawa, CA in 1988. The original owner set it up to race, but never did as he was transferred out of the country. The car passed through two additional owners before I purchased in in 2012.During this time period the car accumulated 7k miles.
Since I have had it, I removed the Webers, water injection system and mecca oiling sytem; all of which leaked like a sieve. I had a new set of headers built for it, re-built and re-installed the SU's, installed a new Hayden fan and a Monza exhaust system.
The temp down here in Orlando this summer has been brutal! It is now Fall and we are still in the 90's. I recently returned from a car function and got caught in bumper to bumper traffic. I slowly watched the temp gauge go up between 208-230. It never really boiled over, but was doing alot of hissing. I flushed the radiator last week and put new antifreeze in it. On a drive to another car function it seem to stay right between 185 and 208

Is there some additive I can add to help the heating situation? I was looking at buying these radiator air deflectors?

Suggestions almighty GuRu's ???

Dick Vinal

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
No guru here, but I see you do not mention the radiator -- probably the single most important component of the cooling system.

It is possible that (being in Ottawa) it was never given much attention in the 'complete restoration'?

Even if it does not leak several things can happen to the rad over time that impede performance, including blockage due to sludge and mineral build-up and also loss of good contact between the tubes and the fins.

A good radiator shop (getting harder to find these days) should be able to help you assess the condition and suggest what course to take if it tests out as less than ideal (rodding, re-core, replacement).

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Does your car have the cardboard radiator shroud? Every little bit helps....

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The best way to prevent a TR3 from overheating while sitting still is with an electric fan. The stock fan does not move enough air to cool the engine on a hot day if the car is not moving. There is also a tropical fan option, but it is hard to find. If you go electric, then you may need to convert to an alternator to handle the extra electrical load.

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Although I also replaced the radiator and added the shroud to my TR3 at the same time, I haven't had an issue at all since adding the Macy's Hurricane fan to my car.

Bill
TS63273L

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Redoakboo,

If you're talking about the Macy's Hurricane fan, when I spoke to Mark Macy before buying it, he told me I wouldn't need the electric fan that I had just bought so I didn't put it on. It still sits in its original box with along with the wiring harness. I've been stuck in 90 degree bumper-to-bumper Boston traffic for an hour and the needle barely moved.

Bill

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation, BillyB, now I know what to ask Santa for in a couple months!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used an electric pusher fan for extra cooling in slow traffic, up mountains, long traffic lights etc. It did the job but I suspected it also blocked a lot of airflow when the cvar was at speed.

Eventually I got a tropical fan and ditched the electric. Now the engine is fine under all conditions and even looks correct.

dlrqoLk.jpg

I would expect similar results with the Macy fan.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag