Thread: Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4

Chats

Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4

The mechanic who has my car in a distant state tells me to replace the front springs and suspension bushings in my 1961 TR4 that is used only for daily driving, not for rallying or autocrossing. I suppose that one of the Delrin kits would be superior to the stock rubber, but I am concerned about squeaking. May I have your recommendations, please?
    Gerald Gordon
    1961 TR4 CT281L registered as a 1962

Chats

Re: Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4

Hi Gerald. I have no opinion on the front springs - maybe others can weigh in. Was the car sagging in the front? I used urethane bushings instead of rubber for my TR3A front end rebuild (similar to TR4) and I really like the urethane solid feel. I have no issues with squeaking yet. I would not hesitate to use urethane again on my next resto project! I think Delrin is a hard material used only for certain applications (like upgrades to steering).

Pat
    Pat
    59 TR3A TS38096 L
    1968 TR250 CD6021LO

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

To me the issue is the quality of replacement rubber bushings. Having spent many years in the rubber industry associated with noise and vibration solutions I am suspect of the rubber compounds in the aftermarket bushing. They may be excellent but they may not, at least the OEM bushings had some engineering associated with their development. I'd go with the urethane, personally on my TR4A I use Delrin and I like the feel. As for springs, be careful, again are the replacements the same spring rate? I'd be asking him to measure the free length and if they are in spec keep them.

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Re the front coil springs.....There are a lot of different springs on the market, namely spring rate, length, wire diameter and the number of active coils. I would not replace the springs until you were sure of your preferred ride height and comfort.
    [I am currently having a pair custom made].