Thread: Belt Size for TR4A

Chats

Belt Size for TR4A

I have two belts, one from Moss and one from VB. As best I can tell, neither fits the car. The Moss one is cogged, and appears an inch short. Do they stretch? I sure can't seem to muscle it close enough.

It's been in my trunk for 8 years, and it just will not fit. The VB one goes on fine, but at full tension it feels a bit loose.

I tried angling the generator pulley before fastening it, and even that wouldn't work on the smaller, cogged one..

Is it that much a science? Anyone else have this kind of problem?

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Re: Belt Size for TR4A

If you are using the standard wide belt, there is precious little stretch in them. Both belts should be marked with the manufacturers part number which is easily converted to size. Here is the Gates info but most manufacturers have similar. (You may need to go to the truck or tractor section)
    http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/SizeListings.pdf
    Perhaps you can find something between them. Or you can go to most auto supplies and they'll do it for you. I do recall that there is very little leeway with that belt too. You'll need to get it on as far as possible with generator fully loosened but not angled and turn the engine to pull it on the rest of the way.
    Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under restoration year 6, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1973 Buick Apollo (was Dad's car)
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Chats

I have gone to O'Reilly's (on Tanque Verde) and they were good enough to let me take an assortment of belts home then return the ones that were too big or small.

If you already have one that is too large and one that is too small then it should be easy to get it down to a small selection of possibles.

I assume you know the usual Gates number - but sometimes it is just a matter of figuring out what works on your particular car.

Chats

That's a good idea. I'll bring both in. You really need to pull them tight to compare.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by KVH View Post
    ...You really need to pull them tight to compare.
    They should have a gadget that does that (and measures the belt).

On my TR4 I am using the Gates (Green Stripe) TR24379 that shows it is 3/4" x 38 3/8" (or 19mm x 975mm for the rest of the world).

That is a 'Truck & Bus' belt so they may have to order one - but call in the a.m. and they can usually have an item in hand by late afternoon.