• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn signal issues

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
having some gremlins with my turn signals on BN2/100M. Trafficator works fine but occasionally the right turn signal does not work where left does but sometimes neither side works ! Other times it works just fine so not the bulbs but thinking it could be the flasher relay on the left interior fender. Of course, it is under the cold air trunking which means taking it off so before I do that, can the original relay be serviced any - like clean up contacts -or should I just look into replacing it with a new one from Moss ?
Thanks
Mike

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I took ours apart; IIRC it's sealed with spot welds and you'll need to use screws to get it back together. There are a couple relays inside and, also IIRC, they can be cleaned up in the usual fashion (points file, etc.). The replacements don't have the Lucas logo, but you could probably transplant the covers.

But, before you open it up, exhaust all other possibilities; esp. corrosion in one of the connectors or a socket. I took ours apart due to a turn signal issue, and after all the trouble found out the problem was caused by a mis-labeled harness wire. I don't think the problem is the flasher because it wouldn't have the left/right symptom.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Since the flasher unit is relatively inexpensive and accessible, I would replace it before messing with the relay unit. After cleaning the connections as Bob suggests.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'd check the bullet connectors closest to where the steering column harness exits the steering box. Remove an reseat, clean if necessary. The other stuff is way more work.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just slacken off the screws on the terminals at the relay and waggle the fork connectors re tighten and try that, if it works then take them off one by one and clean everything properly and put it back together with Vaseline or similar - worked for me without going into the relay box.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey guys,
Did what Roscoe and Bob recommended and we have both lights working now all the time !!!!! At least for now since it is a Healey and may decide on its own for one to stop when a judge comes by to check her out - exactly what happened at recent Atlanta Concours. Oh well, at least another 100M took best in class.
Thanks
Mike