• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Any ideas for repairing jack damage?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Currently working on my solid-axle TR4A frame. It has quite a few dents from jacking, on both sides, which I'd like to repair. I suppose I could get a stud welder and slide hammer, but I'd rather not have to buy all that stuff. I thought I'd ask if anyone has any creative ideas for fixing the dents before I give in and go the expensive route.

Attachments

• jack_damage.jpg
    jack_damage.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 147

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Jeez, a lot of damage from a jack. I jack mine all the time against the frame and hardly scratch the paint. I think I'd bore a couple of holes to make sure the's not a lot of rust inside that would weaken it. Also make sure the frame is straight, most of the are twisted at least a little.
As for dent repair, unless the frame has been weakened, a stud gun would be pretty much maxed out pulling those dents. It might be possible with repeated heatings but that's no too good for the frame either.
The most radical and maybe simplest is to cut out the dented bottom of the frame rail and weld in a new piece. This would require a bit of skill and welding experience though. Of course, you could always paint over it if you determine it's not structural.
I couldn't find a triumph example so Here's a similar one from google (Mustang guys https://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2010/11/frame-rail-repair.html):
Untitled.jpg

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I did a search of the archives, and didn't find any good solutions, but it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I've measured the frame, and fortunately it is factory straight. I've cleaned out the inside and checked it as best I can--the TR frame has a lot of vent and drain holes, so it's not too hard. No rust, fortunately; got a mouse nest out of it, though, and a bunch of pecan shells.

I considered welding in a new piece. I think I can do that successfully, without it looking like a repair. Treat it like the body, grind down the welds, and put a bit of high-build primer on it. That was the other thing I considered, but was not sure if that was sensible or not. Mostly, I don't want it to look like the frame has had a rust repair. The upside, of course, is that I could get a good look inside the frame and see how it is doing.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Even with the dents it looks structurally sound.
I would use a metal based body filler....not a lot different to using high build primer over a new welded in section.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Steve,
I have a frame with similar dents and the body shop only came up with 2 solutions, first was to cut out the dented portion, straighten it and weld it back in. The second was to weld sheet metal over the dented area and finish it like the rest of the frame. I thought of a third solution...drill holes on the opposite side and drive it out, but I’m not that good. Let’s us know what you decide to do.
Rut

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
John, thanks for the link. It looks good. Also there are a lot of good suggestions in other posts within that thread.

Have to work for a living these next few days (bummer how that happens!) and then I'll get back onto it.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Yes, I do too, and I wish someone gave the PO that suggestion. The centers of most of the dents are about 3/4" in diameter, and they are conical. I'll bet someone used a bottle jack on it, effectively putting several hundred pounds in a small area on a piece of 16-gauge sheet steel. Whatever could go wrong with that?!! Sigh.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Well, here's what I did. I cut out the worst of the dents, hammered the piece flat, and welded it back in place. I didn't try to fix all the dents, just the ones that were deepest and most disturbing. I ground the welds quite flat, gave it a coat of primer, and I think it will be almost invisible when it's got a coat of paint on it. Still a little bumpy, but so is the rest of the frame. Anyway, I'm satisfied. Thanks, guys, for the suggestions.
finished.jpg

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Nicely done!
Tom

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Steve,
Great job as usual!