Thread: Engine Removal Attachment Points

Chats

Engine Removal Attachment Points

After searching this subject, I found a discussion but no actual answer for front and rear attachment points for engine removal. Time does not allow me to order the front eyelet. Either the front or rear head studs (with head attached). seem viable, but they are both on the same side of the block which would cause side tilt. I will remove engine and tranny as a unit. I have done this before a couple of decades ago, but I can't remember what I used for the rear attachment point. (Unfortunately, I can't remember a lot of other things as well.}
    58 TR3
    80 TR8

Chats

Re: Engine Removal Attachment Points

Supposed to be a plate with an eyehole in it bolted to the front engine plate just in front of the dist. Another looped flat bar should be under the right rear head bolt and the rear manifold bolt.
    Bob

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by JFS View Post
    ...Either the front or rear head studs (with head attached). seem viable, but they are both on the same side of the block which would cause side tilt...
    Removing the valve cover will reveal the head studs on the left hand side.

Chats

I have used the factory locations a couple of times, but after testing a recommendation from a friend now I prefer just a couple of slings (harbor freight, 5-6 ft length?) straddling the rear and front of the engine. No chance of them slipping with the gearbox and front engine plate, and a nice gentle way to pull.

I had to throw away a block with cracks and both front and back stud locations, I think from some pulling by the studs with the head off. Don't do that!
    Randy
    70 TR6 - running
    59 TR3A - slumbering
    64 TR4 - got another one!

Freshman Member
    Chats

I've always used truckers rope from Ace hardware around the rear of the engine, and front of the engine and a chain fall--have to judge just how tight
    to tie the knot so that the "angle" is correct--
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chats

George, I'll check to see if the rocker assembly might be endangered; I could remove the rockers, but prefer not to.

Harold, I can't open your thumbnails for an enlarged view. I remember that I had to really tilt the engine/tranny to get them out and am concerned about the slings moving or sipping.
    58 TR3
    80 TR8

Chats

Engine lifting straps..create a sling.

Cheers
    Tush
    81 TR8, SATPL
    73 TR6 CF4874UO
    68 TR250 CD5228LO,
    60 TR3A TS69891LO, 60 TR3A TS64870L, 59 TR3A TS44836LO

Freshman Member
    Chats

the front sling goes through or around the front engine mounts (each engine is different of course)--rear sling goes between the rear engine plate,
    and the engine oil pan---I've lifted engines out with the tranny attached, and also with the tranny still in the car--supported by a sling rope under
    the front--(the heavy part of the engine) attached to something!!!---overall--it's probably easier to remove the engine with the tranny attached--
    Then after rebuilding both--it's easier to put them back together--like I said---judging the angle is the main issue--
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chats

I bought two sling straps at Fleet Farm and will try to use them with a tilt mechanism tomorrow.
    58 TR3
    80 TR8