Thread: Grille bar

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Grille bar

My 71 TR6 is missing the aluminum bar across the middle. Friend brought one over but there does not appear to be any method of attaching it. No bolt holes, etc. What does the bar screw or bolt into? Must be something on the back of the black grille, yes? Any ideas? I like the the look of the bar better. Did any TR6's come without the grille bar?

Chats

Re: Grille bar

Quote Originally Posted by pdplot View Post
    My 71 TR6 is missing the aluminum bar across the middle. Friend brought one over but there does not appear to be any method of attaching it. No bolt holes, etc. What does the bar screw or bolt into? Must be something on the back of the black grille, yes? Any ideas? I like the the look of the bar better. Did any TR6's come without the grille bar?
    There is a stud on the backside of the badge assembly that goes through a hole in the center of the bar, and then through the center hole on the egg-crate. The other two holes in the egg-crate take 1/8" blind rivets into the rear flange of the bar.

Ed

IMG_3500a.jpg
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Jedi Knight
    Chats

My egg crate is missing the two end holes. Looks like it never had them. No sign that they broke off. That's why I asked if some TR6's came without the bar.The badge is ok.
    What fastens the bar to the two end holes? What is a blind rivet?
    If I knew how the bar fastens to the egg crate, I could remove the egg crate, fabricate two small brackets and place them behind the egg crate, remove the badge, put the bar on and fasten it to the egg crate. It might also involve drilling 2 holes in the bar if there are no holes drilled already.

Chats

Don't know if cars were made without the bar. On my 74, end holes held blind rivets--rivets that can be installed with access to only one side. Pop rivet is one brand.

Your plan seems like a good one.

Ed

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Pop rivets. I had a gun once. Broke and never replaced. I assume the bar has two holes?

Chats

Three holes total--one in the center for the badge stud and one on each side for the rivets that only go through the rear flange.

Ed

Jedi Knight
    Chats

OK. Now all I need is the bar. I need one in good condition - no corrosion or damage.