• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fuel Tank Venting

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to share what my research has found and, also, ask for possible solutions. As noted in the past, some of us leave a trail of fuel when making a left hand turn with a full or nearly full fuel tank. Fuel goes out the vent/overflow tube on the passenger's side of the tank. While researching I checked two original tanks I have and the hole at the bottom of vent plug where the banjo bolt goes was on the passenger's side of the plug. On the tank that drains fuel through the vent tube, that hole is on the driver's side of the vent plug. Consequently, when you make a left hand turn, fuel swings to the passenger's side and out the vent tube. Were I able to use my original tank there wouldn't be a hole there for fuel to go out. I was told the supplier of the tank said this sometimes happened. So I called a vendor who happened to have four tanks in stock and was kind enough to check them. He found the holes were all over the place. Appeared to be just randomly place. No two in the same location but none of the four directly in line with the fuel when it would swing to the right. On my original tanks I don't know if Triumph was more meticulous and put them directly away from a majority of the fuel or I just got lucky with those tanks. Anyway, finally my question. It seems the only way to stop fuel from going out the vent tube would be to block it. I know other's have done this so what is the best way?

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John the hole I'm talking about is inside the threaded fitting the banjo bolt goes into so I've found it impossible to take a picture of it. I tried once with no luck. I'll try again in the morning with a bright light shining into it and maybe it will work. Sorry. If you have a spare tank look in the fitting where you would place the banjo bolt.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John I was able to get a pic of the hole. The hole is on the passenger side of the tank. DSCN1554.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting. That entire fitting is brazed into the tank, so it could easily be rotated. And you're thinking that the hole should be towards the outside of the tank?

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you have a repro cap like the one I got from TRF for post 60k tank it may have a vent hole in the cap.
I would seal the tank vent,and drill small hole in cap to venti.I believe Randall posted pics of this if you search.
Tom

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John you're right, the fitting is brazed into the tank and the aftermarket suppliers aren't paying attention to how it goes in. On the two original tanks I have, that hole is to the outside thus leaving only about 3 inches of fuel that can slosh around and it wouldn't overflow the vent tube. That's what is pictured. With the aftermarket tank I now have, the hole is to the inside and even with a tank 3/4 full I get fuel out of the vent tube in a left hand turn. At any rate, my fuel cap is vented so I will remove the vent tube and plug the hole. For those interested it takes a 1/2 - 20 bolt 3/4 inches long or less. Just wanted to let all know so they could be on the lookout for this potential problem.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you have a repro cap like the one I got from TRF for post 60k tank it may have a vent hole in the cap.
I would seal the tank vent,and drill small hole in cap to venti.I believe Randall posted pics of this if you search.
Tom
Hi All - Back to the forum after a little time away. I recently replaced my pitted fuel cap (TR3A) with a new one from Moss and it was drilled with vent hole. Too lazy to pull apart my interior and expose the fuel tank banjo connection to plug it - so, I went on Amazon and bought a brass fitting (5/16 compression by 1/4 inch MPT) and installed it on the end of the vent pipe, with an NPT cap, down near the differential. Next time I take out the interior (rear seat and capping), I'll remove the vent pipe all together and plug with the half inch diameter cap screw. I used to lay down way too much gasoline on the pavement on those left turns. People would honk and complain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNNMPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71bSzkuEjHL._AC_UL115_.jpg
Pat