• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Rear bonnet seal

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Trying to figure out the orientation of the rear bonnet seal, does the lip face forward or back? If it's facing forward it rests on the bonnet bracing and if it faces to the rear it fits snugly between the bonnet bracing and the rear edge. Piggott's book shows the lip facing forward, but that jacks up the bonnet. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On mine, which I believe is original in this regard, the flange is on the forward side but is curved rearward. Looking for a pic...

Here:

6S9caiD.jpg

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
George,
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for! I've turned mine around to face the rear as yours is pictured...it just makes sense when you look at the way the bonnet fits when closed.
Thanks, Rut

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Does that seal require any kind of silicone or adhesive? I meant to be in bed by now, but I've been ogling Geo's engine compartment for several hours, overcome by that feeling of all there is still to accomplish.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I meant to be in bed by now, but I've been ogling Geo's engine compartment for several hours, overcome by that feeling of all there is still to accomplish.

Heinzelmännchen? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinzelmännchen)

"The little house gnomes are said to have done all the work of the citizens of Cologne during the night, so that the inhabitants of Cologne could be very lazy during the day. According to the legend, this went on until a tailor's wife got so curious to see the gnomes that she scattered peas onto the floor of the workshop to make the gnomes slip and fall. The gnomes, being infuriated, disappeared and never returned. From that time on, the citizens of Cologne had to do all their work by themselves."

But seriously, that is a gorgeous engine compartment. Hopefully we will all be there in a few years...

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
And to add to the mystery, in my car it appears to have been facing forward. Cannot say that the seal is original, but it sure was old when removed. I have not yet re-assembled, and have not had to make the decision on how to best install.

IMG_7089 - bonnet - seal at back of bonnet.jpg IMG_7090 - bonnet - seal at back of bonnet.jpg IMG_7091 - bonnet - seal at back of bonnet and bumper.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Since we are discussing 66 TR4as, mine has SUs and George's has ZS carbs...was there a change in 66? My 67 has SUs as well.
Thanks, Rut

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 78
Country flag
Can't give you any factory info but quite common to see both types of carbs on the 4A cars. I have cars now with SUs and ZS carbs. I do like the SUs better than the early ZS. I seem to remember seeing more SUs on the the 67 cars.
Marv

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My '63 Tr4 has that particular seal installed with the lip facing forward, I think the seal is installed in that orientation to help the seal contain the fumes/smells from the engine compartment.
Yes, I did replace the seal, but I installed the new seal in the same orientation as I found the old one.
And yes that is a '63Tr4 engine with a Tr4A PCV system and coolant recovery bottle, etc.
M.

Attachments

• Tr4 '63.jpg
    Tr4 '63.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Orientation of rear bonnet seal lip.jpg
    Orientation of rear bonnet seal lip.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Geo,
I don't know what to tell you, but the rear bonnet seal on my '63Tr4 was installed lip forward (toward engine) like in the Workshop Manual illustration and my picture.
I purchased my Tr from the first owner some 38 years ago and believe me that guy didn't replace a thing on it! He was the primordial DPO.:censored:

M.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the additional information and I've settled on installing the seal with the lip facing the rear. The bonnet fits much better and the seal rests on the smooth underside vs the rear bonnet braces.
Thanks again, Rut

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Rut,
I don't understand why my seal does not contact the bonnet brace lips when it is installed with the lip forward.
Enclosed is a picture of the profile of my seal (OEM Triumph) does it look like yours?
M.

Attachments

• Bonnet rear seal profile.jpg
    Bonnet rear seal profile.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 72
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Merlin,
My bonnet seal has the same profile as yours, but if I install it with the lip facing forward it interferes with the bonnet bracing. The flat space on the rear of the bonnet is less than an inch wide in places, so there's not much room for adjustment.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 60

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I think the seal is installed in that orientation to help the seal contain the fumes/smells from the engine compartment...

I pondered that -- but of course installed the opposite way it might help keep rain out of the engine bay.

TR3s apparently don't need no stinkin' seal -- in fact the bonnet is vented just forward of the windscreen to release any fumes & smells.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Geo,
Don't know about keeping rain out of the engine bay since there is the rear firewall lip and the drains at either end to do that.
But I can tell you that all the cars that I have owned that had a rear hood seal have had the lip or the main part of the seal facing forward, BMWs, Volvos, Fords, Chevys, etc.

M.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Rut,
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't understand why the seal interferes in your Tr and not in mine?
Questions,
1) are you sure you have pressed the seal home onto the firewall vertical lip, I know mine took some effort to fully seat it.
2) could your bonnet be adjusted too far aft and too low in the rear?
I'm enclosing pics of the seal as installed in my Tr and the bottom of the bonnet. The pic of the bonnet shows the "cleaner" area were the seal seats between the rear bonnet lip and the bonnet reinforcement gusset lip.
M.

Attachments

• View of rear seal, right side.jpg
    View of rear seal, right side.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Bonnet bottom right rear.jpg
    Bonnet bottom right rear.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Merlin,
When the lip of the seal is facing forward it adds additional pressure to the bonnet and the drivers side rides up. With the lip facing to the rear the bonnet is pretty even across the rear and flush with the cowl. No pictures, but I would describe the gap as typical and even with the gap along the sides of the bonnet. Please understand that while working on Desert TR I don't know what has and hasn't been done and Jims brother Steve and I just mounted the bonnet for our trip home. Although it was a quick assembly we did a pretty good job, but more adjustment on the body panels is needed before I'll be satisfied.
Thanks, Rut