Thread: Anyone install one of these (100S Kilmartin pieces) for fresh air in your footbox?

Chats

Anyone install one of these (100S Kilmartin pieces) for fresh air in your footbox?

Looking through Kilmartin 100S parts and came across this. Never seen this in any photos or books on an original. I like it and bet it would help. Anyone installed these on top of their foot box?Screenshot_20170930-220200.jpg
    1955 Austin Healey 100/4 (modified Chevy drivetrain)
    1985 Porsche 928S

Chats

Re: Anyone install one of these (100S Kilmartin pieces) for fresh air in your footbox

images.jpgNot me but how could it possibly be a bad idea? Anything that helps move air near my feet on a hot day would be welcome. I have glorious plans for installing a mini swamp cooler along the lines of the old ones you could hang on your window.......dang, I don't have a window.
    Jon Robbins
    1956BN-2 (do it all yourself, you'll be glad you did)

Re: Anyone install one of these (100S Kilmartin pieces) for fresh air in your footbox

RHD cars (aren't [almost] all 100S's RHD?) have more ability to get cool air to the feet.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Chats

I cannot get any response from Kilmartin by emailing them. I am using their email from the website. Has anyone ordered from them recently?
    1985 Porsche 928S

Freshman Member
    Chats

BCS in Stockton sells all Kilmartin stuff and answers emails.
    GeorgeinFlagstaff
    54 BN1
    59 AN5

Yoda
    Chats

I haven't dealt with Kilmartin in a long time, but recall it was easier to reach them by phone (but the time difference is a hindrance).

Chats

Hi All,

I believe the Kilmartin part is an extension/modification on the COLD Air outlet that will angle the air stream downward into the foot well. The original Cold Air outlet directs air high and to the back of the dash and thereby eliminating most of the cooling benefit for the driver. This addition/modification changes the direction of the "Cold" air output to better address the heat issue of the foot well.

Keep in mind that the 100/S was RHD and I would expect this piece to direct more of the cold air toward the foot well across the cabin.

Although the Kilmartin part could provide beneficial Cold air redirection on a 3000, a simple deflector mounted on the bottom of the wiper motor mount (attached with the wiper motor bolts) would perform as well and require much less intervention, effort and cost.

Cold Air Deflector.jpg

My Guess,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

Chats

IMG_4411.jpgAH914S.JPGOrdered one along with the air deflectors for the front. Will post up some photos once installed.
    1985 Porsche 928S

Chats

Ordered one along with the air deflectors for the front. Will post up some photos once installed.
    I'm a little confused, are the air deflector parts (pictured) installed inside the cabin or in front/on the radiator bulkhead on the cold air duct?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Chats

The air deflectors are installed on either side of the radiator behind the grill to channel the air through and not allow it to escape around the side of the radiator. The smailler piece sits on top of the foot box and appears that it could go on either side on the outside of the diagonal supprt to the firewall. Below is a photo of what the air deflectors look like installed.

images.jpg
    1985 Porsche 928S

Chats

Would the hole in the deflectors be the opening for extensions of the cold and heater air ducts? The deflectors seem like a more inclusive channeling of air to the radiator then the deflectors on the BJ8/3000 and would even diminish some of the hot air recirculation during a slow moving or stopped situation.

I look forward to hearing your experiences when installed.
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

Chats

Yes the hoses will run to the cabin inside each respective fender. Stock appearance for passenger side and the driver's side should fit similar (I am hoping). I don't see any downside except I don't have a control flap to shut off the air on the driver's side like factory passenger side.
    1985 Porsche 928S

For 100M/Lemans owners, this might be an interesting way to not only mount the hose to the cold air box but to install a filter. I've tired several ways to install an air filter and this seems like it would be sturdier.

Michael Pittsburgh PA USA

Chats

I don't see any downside except I don't have a control flap to shut off the air on the driver's side like factory passenger side.
    If the closing flap for the 100 Cold vent is installed as it is on the BJ8, in the radiator bulkhead, then I would expect you would leave all in place and just run a duct from the forward side of the bulkhead Cold air duct to the opening in the deflector. This may require the construction of a bracket on the bulkhead to hold the additional duct but it would leave everything as in from the radiator bulkhead back to the cabin ... no change. A water exit/drain (in case of rain) should also be considered at the forward duct mounting bracket.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Chats

Not familiar with the flap on the BJ8 will have to investigate that. Thanks again.
    1985 Porsche 928S