• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rolling jack bridge

pschauss

Freshman Member
I am thinking about getting a rolling jack bridge for my four post lift. The prices on these seem to be all over the map. I know that I don't need one which handles 4500 lbs and uses compressed air but I am also a bit spooky about the made-in-China one which sells for $595. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
1963 Austin Healey BJ7
1980 MGB

OP
P

pschauss

Freshman Member
Jay,

Thanks for the information. I ordered the 3500 lb. capacity model from one of their distributors (Derek Weaver in North Carolina). It appears to be well made and is easy to use. It fits nicely under both my Healey 3000 and my MGB. It does not have rollers, but it slides easily enough that I can position it under the car without any problem.

I opted to pay an extra $35 (the invoice listed it as "gift wrapping") to have it delivered by a truck with a lift gate and the driver rolled the pallet right into my garage and set it under the lift for me.

Peter
1963 Austin Healey BJ7
1980 MGB

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Good to hear my suggestion worked for you Peter. Going forward, if you're experiences match mine, you'll be glad you spent the money...it makes things so much easier. Those are surprisingly heavy, good move on getting lift gate delivery.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Just curious: with the Direct Lift sliding jack, how much clearance is there to drive over when the jack is fully retracted - any problems driving LBC's on to the ramps?

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Just curious: with the Direct Lift sliding jack, how much clearance is there to drive over when the jack is fully retracted - any problems driving LBC's on to the ramps?
Fully retracted, the Direct Lift 4500 stands only 2.5" above the runway...no real concern for vehicles with low ground clearance.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Also no problems with the wheels of the car being far apart enough to clear the width?

(I am deciding between a Direct Lift and a Bendpak... the latter being more expensive but also coming with a few additional features... do I need them? Probably not...)

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
When the jack's arms are retracted and the pads removed, there's nothing sticking past the inner edge of the runways.

Even though I've had the lift for awhile now, before driving either very wide track or narrow track (GT6) vehicles onto the the lift, I still get out to see that I've got things lined up correctly.

Don't see you making a mistake choosing either a Direct Lift or a Bendpak. Both are ALI certified. I chose the Direct Lift Pro 9 because it had the widest drive through space/distance between the posts (without spending a fortune).

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
That is a nice garage - as are the contents!

Thank you so much for the further information! For me, the choice is between the ProPark 8 and Bendpak HD9; I agree with you the PP9 has great space between columns - as well as great vertical lift. And the price is better than the BP. Mine is going into a small single car garage, and he PP9 is too big. Also this means it will be a "head-knocker" lift, as the bottom of the lift is about 5.5'.