• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Michelin XAS tires for my '67 Austin Healey 3000

skipmurf

Freshman Member
I had an Austin Healey 45 years ago and had Michelin XAS tires on it and loved them. I have gotten a negative review of them (they are no longer made by Michelin) and I would love some practical advice from anyone who has recently installed XAS's on their Healey and what your review of their quality. Thank you

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Skipmurf--

If you had XAS's on your Healey in 1972 that would have made you somewhat of a pioneer. Back then the Michelin X was a popular tire for British and other sports cars and though they were good in the rain my recollection is that they had a relatively flexible side wall and did not have the best directional stability. The XAS tires--brought out in about 1965-- were originally intended for the larger, faster European sedans such as Citroen DS19's (I believe they owned Michelin at that time), BMW 2500-2800's, etc.

I put a set of 180 XAS's on my 100 a few years back when the XZX was discontinued in the 175 size and I think they are wonderful. They give great tracking at highway speeds and feel very grippy in wet or dry. They fill the wheel openings very nicely and provide a little extra ground clearance--always a good thing on a Healey. I use tubes with my wire wheels.

I believe they are now made some place in eastern Europe and I have not had or heard of any quality problems.

OP
S

skipmurf

Freshman Member
I was indeed a pioneer. I was a foreign car mechanic at the time (age 22) and had French made quartz-iodine headlights as well. My Healey came with a Stebro exhaust, which I would would do again except that Stebro is no longer in business. I am told that the production quality on the XAS's is poor since Michelin is no longer making them, but i loved the way my Healey handled back then. They are expensive, but i think I will give them a try. Thanks.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I use the XASs on my BT7 and love them. Installed by Hendrix. Did it based on Michael Oritt’s recommendation.
Lin

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They are made by Michelin in Croatia. Longstone and Coker both have assured me they're made by Michelin. America's Tire/Discount Tire may have someone with training for wire wheels. They do in SoCal, but you may have to ship to Hendrix.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I purchased mine from Coker and had them drop shipped to Hendrix. Alan then checked and trued my wires and installed and balanced the tires. Happy customer.
Lin

OP
S

skipmurf

Freshman Member
I was told by Hendrix that they are being made by Coker in Croatia, but he has not had a single problem with the ones installed on his own BJ8. He said he is unaware of any quality problems. Oops, I should have read the post on Tigar tires - apparently owned by Michelin now. SO THEY ARE MADE BY MICHELIN. i STAND CORRECTED!!!

SteveT3000

Freshman Member
Recently fitted XAS's on my BJ8 supplied by Longstone. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending both tyres and supplier. Very happy with them, they feel grippy, fill the arches and are close to the original tyre diameter so speedo is pretty accurate.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would also recommend Longstone. I've bought tires from them for both my Healey and Jag. Prices are always better than any supplier in the States even when shipping charges apply, and delivery takes only a few days.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Stretchit2, I and other Healey friends have all bought the 180s from Longstone - we're all very happy with the look and ride. Mine came free shipping in 3 days to the west coast of the US. What's not to like!

bluegrass john

Country flag
I purchased from my XAS tires from Longstone ; They assured me a very recent date code because of their fast turning inventory and indeed when they arrived the date code on the tires was up to date. This was important to me because of the minimum miles put on the car in a year.

John

OP
S

skipmurf

Freshman Member
I bought 180/15 XASs from Coker and had them installed on brand new chrome wires (w/o tubes). I couldn't possibly be happier. Thank you all for the information and help!!!

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IMGP2206a.jpg
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...yHE-wEafyn_SCT71_CiC3Q?authKey=CPaY2JSzwZr4Iw
very satisfied on roads dry or wet and aesthetically:encouragement::encouragement:

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Skip, you have quite a bit of snow right now...let's see the car out in it doing doughnuts! No doubt you did that back in the day! (And it will remind Randy what he is missing!)