• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Steering box removal

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My workshop manual says that the radiator has to come out to remove the steering box on a BJ8. To my in-experienced eye it looks like it will slide out if the grille is removed. Has anyone tried removing it with the rad in situ?
Thanks
AJ

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Extracting the radiator and deflector will only help with removing front grill. The entire steering box and column is guided out the front end so make sure there's space enough (5 ft) in front to clear the column. I also removed carburetors and used painter's blue tape to protect various inside trim and body panels from abrasion and scrapping.

Are you planning on a complete replacement with a quicker steering gear - or a refurbish? Best of luck. GONZO

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
AJ - if you're planning on using a Welch steering box, they have had some delivery issues. I'd make sure you have the box in hand before removing your old one.

I'd say that once you've removed the air deflectors and grille, removing the radiator is relatively easy.

Hints: add clip-on u-nuts to the top of the air deflectors and it'll be easier to bolt them to the shroud. For the upper two radiator bolts, switch to a longer bolt with tube spacer so you can get the bolt head out past the mounting bracket where you can see it.

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for the tips. No need to worry about the carbs it's RHD. They're on the other side.
I was planning on getting it professionally re-built. I think it'll be much cheaper than a Welch box and I don't intend doing any racing. I'm getting on a bit now!
Any suggestions as to why this is not a good idea would be welcome.
The consensus seems to be that the rad has to come out. Is this because you can't get the grille out if the rad is still in place? It looks to me like the grille will drop out of the bottom. Once the grille's out, the box looks like it will slide out without having to remove the rad.
AJ

AJ

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All of the above responses are spot on.

However, the steering assembly can be removed with out removing the radiator.

Simply remove the grill and air deflector then carefully slide the box out of the car in the space between the side of the radiator and the chassis.

No the pittman arm need not be taken off just make sure it is in the dead ahead position

Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Getting the pittman arm off the rocker shaft can be a chore. Last time I took one off was on a 100, but this might work on a 6-cyl car: Loosen the shaft at the collar under the fascia, unbolt the steering box and the tie rods from the pittman arm, and turn the shaft/box 90deg anticlockwise. Then, you should be able to get a puller on the pittman arm.

As I mentioned, I haven't tried it on a 6-cyl car, but it might be worth a try. On my 100, I was able to unbolt the radiator and push it aside to make working room (IIRC, the shop manual says to do this). You may need to loosen or even remove the damper as well. Now that I think about it, you may not have to remove the pittman arm before pulling the box, but you'd still probably need to rotate it.

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes, I've been told that removing the Pitman arm can be difficult. I was going to let the guy whose going to re-build the box do that. Are you suggesting it has to come off to get the box out of the car if I leave the rad in place.

A

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I've been told that removing the Pitman arm can be difficult. I was going to let the guy whose going to re-build the box do that. Are you suggesting it has to come off to get the box out of the car if I leave the rad in place.A

Ah, it didn't register that you're taking the whole column out, all of my work has been with the box in the car. I had to pull the pittman arm because I screwed up by taking the front cover off the box, and the bearings fell out of place so I had to remove the rocker shaft to get the steering shaft out. Certainly, if you can get the whole column out without removing the pittman arm do so. I was able to move the radiator aside because 100s don't have the baffling the 6-cyl cars do; it does sound like it would be easiest to pull the radiator of a 6-cyl car (although R&R the radiator is a chore, too). The 100s have a different grill shape, of course; maybe a 6-cyl will surrender its box without as much of a fight. And, since you don't have carburettors in the way it should be easier to move the column up if need be.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
With the steering box on the bench, I had no difficulty pulling the pittman arm. I used the HF tie rod and pittman puller. Someone else may have mentioned you may have to grind it a little to fit the "ears" on the Healey pittman arm.

No problem getting the whole steering unit out without pulling the pittman first.