Thread: BJ8 Steering box removal

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BJ8 Steering box removal

My workshop manual says that the radiator has to come out to remove the steering box on a BJ8. To my in-experienced eye it looks like it will slide out if the grille is removed. Has anyone tried removing it with the rad in situ?
    Thanks
    AJ

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: BJ8 Steering box removal

Extracting the radiator and deflector will only help with removing front grill. The entire steering box and column is guided out the front end so make sure there's space enough (5 ft) in front to clear the column. I also removed carburetors and used painter's blue tape to protect various inside trim and body panels from abrasion and scrapping.

Are you planning on a complete replacement with a quicker steering gear - or a refurbish? Best of luck. GONZO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

AJ - if you're planning on using a Welch steering box, they have had some delivery issues. I'd make sure you have the box in hand before removing your old one.

I'd say that once you've removed the air deflectors and grille, removing the radiator is relatively easy.

Hints: add clip-on u-nuts to the top of the air deflectors and it'll be easier to bolt them to the shroud. For the upper two radiator bolts, switch to a longer bolt with tube spacer so you can get the bolt head out past the mounting bracket where you can see it.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. No need to worry about the carbs it's RHD. They're on the other side.
    I was planning on getting it professionally re-built. I think it'll be much cheaper than a Welch box and I don't intend doing any racing. I'm getting on a bit now!
    Any suggestions as to why this is not a good idea would be welcome.
    The consensus seems to be that the rad has to come out. Is this because you can't get the grille out if the rad is still in place? It looks to me like the grille will drop out of the bottom. Once the grille's out, the box looks like it will slide out without having to remove the rad.
    AJ

AJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

All of the above responses are spot on.

However, the steering assembly can be removed with out removing the radiator.

Simply remove the grill and air deflector then carefully slide the box out of the car in the space between the side of the radiator and the chassis.

No the pittman arm need not be taken off just make sure it is in the dead ahead position
    Last edited by Keoke; 09-28-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Getting the pittman arm off the rocker shaft can be a chore. Last time I took one off was on a 100, but this might work on a 6-cyl car: Loosen the shaft at the collar under the fascia, unbolt the steering box and the tie rods from the pittman arm, and turn the shaft/box 90deg anticlockwise. Then, you should be able to get a puller on the pittman arm.

As I mentioned, I haven't tried it on a 6-cyl car, but it might be worth a try. On my 100, I was able to unbolt the radiator and push it aside to make working room (IIRC, the shop manual says to do this). You may need to loosen or even remove the damper as well. Now that I think about it, you may not have to remove the pittman arm before pulling the box, but you'd still probably need to rotate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I've been told that removing the Pitman arm can be difficult. I was going to let the guy whose going to re-build the box do that. Are you suggesting it has to come off to get the box out of the car if I leave the rad in place.

A

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgtf328 View Post
    Yes, I've been told that removing the Pitman arm can be difficult. I was going to let the guy whose going to re-build the box do that. Are you suggesting it has to come off to get the box out of the car if I leave the rad in place.A
    Ah, it didn't register that you're taking the whole column out, all of my work has been with the box in the car. I had to pull the pittman arm because I screwed up by taking the front cover off the box, and the bearings fell out of place so I had to remove the rocker shaft to get the steering shaft out. Certainly, if you can get the whole column out without removing the pittman arm do so. I was able to move the radiator aside because 100s don't have the baffling the 6-cyl cars do; it does sound like it would be easiest to pull the radiator of a 6-cyl car (although R&R the radiator is a chore, too). The 100s have a different grill shape, of course; maybe a 6-cyl will surrender its box without as much of a fight. And, since you don't have carburettors in the way it should be easier to move the column up if need be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

With the steering box on the bench, I had no difficulty pulling the pittman arm. I used the HF tie rod and pittman puller. Someone else may have mentioned you may have to grind it a little to fit the "ears" on the Healey pittman arm.

No problem getting the whole steering unit out without pulling the pittman first.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow