• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aston lost to fire...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A buddy of mine lost his Aston last night. He pulled into a parking garage and went to apply the brakes but the pedal traveled to the floor. He began to pump the pedal and the brake fluid ignited on the hot engine block. Car is probably totaled.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A buddy of mine lost his Aston last night. He pulled into a parking garage and went to apply the brakes but the pedal traveled to the floor. He began to pump the pedal and the brake fluid ignited on the hot engine block. Car is probably totaled.

Terrible! I once lost hydraulic breaks on my Spitfire coming up to a stop light. Rather than pump them, I smoothly applied the parking (aka emergency) break. What model was it?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It WAS a DB7.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hate when that happens. Maybe the engine could be salvaged and shoehorned into a Tr6...
I'm not so sure the engine made it. The fire department came and sprayed water over the hot engine-- eeek!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Has to be said though - DB7 or not it is still only metal - sounds like the house is still standing and no one was hurt.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Has to be said though - DB7 or not it is still only metal - sounds like the house is still standing and no one was hurt.
Exactly right JP. No-one hurt, no damage to building. Insurance will be the next step.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A friend who was a car repair man by trade bought a DB5 that had been stolen and recovered. Some damage in the recovery included bullet holes in the windshield. The Spanish police mean stop when they raise their hand in a stop gesture.

He did a great job on the repairs and spent endless hours getting the paint to Aston Martin standards.

After he drove it for a while he decided it had to go so it was put on his buddies car lot. It did have a little cam chain rattle, nothing bad but just noticeable. His buddie fancied himself a mechanic and set about adjusting the cam chain tension with the engine running. Ended up going the wrong way with the adjuster and somehow the chain ripped the idler sprocket out of the block, bent several valves and damaged 2 pistons. A very expensive repair to the motor.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A friend who was a car repair man by trade bought a DB5 that had been stolen and recovered. Some damage in the recovery included bullet holes in the windshield. The Spanish police mean stop when they raise their hand in a stop gesture.

He did a great job on the repairs and spent endless hours getting the paint to Aston Martin standards.

After he drove it for a while he decided it had to go so it was put on his buddies car lot. It did have a little cam chain rattle, nothing bad but just noticeable. His buddie fancied himself a mechanic and set about adjusting the cam chain tension with the engine running. Ended up going the wrong way with the adjuster and somehow the chain ripped the idler sprocket out of the block, bent several valves and damaged 2 pistons. A very expensive repair to the motor.

David

Did the buddy lose any fingers?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think my friend would have cheerfully cut them off one by one when he heard what had happened to the motor.

As I recall it is an E Type motor but not exactly. Took a while to get it right again.

David

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Any repair to an Aston Martin motor is expensive. In fact, any repair to anything Aston Martin is expensive.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yet another reason to like DOT 5.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's tragic, Elliot. Makes me rethink about a Halon II fire suppression system or two.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My friend did have an extinguisher but it was to hot to handle. I don't know where he had it mounted.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randall is the "Flash Point" a factor to be considered or just the "Auto-ignition temp."?
When a volatile solution comes into contact with a surface hot enough to cause ignition at a specified temp isn't that all that's required to cause a fire?
I'm not sure I understand the difference between Flash Point and Auto-ignition.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
"Flash point" refers only to the formation of vapors. The vapors may burn if an ignition source (like a flame or spark) is applied, but don't necessarily do so. For example, the flash point for gasoline is -45F, but obviously it doesn't burst into flame at that temperature. "Auto ignition" is the point at which it spontaneously bursts into flame (in a standard atmosphere and pressure), without the application of a spark or flame.

More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature

There is also a distinction between supporting combustion (making a fire) and just being changed by heat. Some plastics, for example, will melt and char, possibly even put out a flame while another flame is applied; but quickly go out once the other flame is removed. Obviously they are preferred for home construction (etc) over materials like wood that feed the fire.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for the thorough explanation.