• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

With the flu

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Been hit with Mr Flu for past several days. On the mend now thankfully. One thing that always seems to happen when I get the flu is extreme lower back pain. Anyone else ever experience lower back pain from flu symptoms?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I hate the flu! Never get lower back pain, but I still consider it a major pain in the ...

... posterior.

Glad you're on the mend!
Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I hate the flu! Never get lower back pain, but I still consider it a major pain in the ...

... posterior.

Glad you're on the mend!
Tom M.

Thanks. I was running 103 temp and had all the strength of a 6 yr old.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not lower back per say but, have had muscle pain - no fun at all! be well.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not lower back per say but, have had muscle pain - no fun at all! be well.

Yeah, I get muscle pains all over too, but for some reason the lower back seems to be worse. I sometimes can't get out of a chair without help.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I don't think I have ever caught the flu (knock wood!), and usually don't get a flu shot. I have had some serious colds, one or sometimes two per year.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I don't think I have ever caught the flu (knock wood!), and usually don't get a flu shot. I have had some serious colds, one or sometimes two per year.

You must have been blessed with a good immune system. Your reply got me thinking "what's the difference between a cold and the flu?" One description put it this way:

The common cold typically begins with a sore throat, which can make swallowing and even talking difficult. This condition usually lasts for a couple days and is often joined by runny nose and chest congestion. Overall, these symptoms should only last somewhere between a few days and a week.
A flu, however, proceeds in a different way. For one, all of the symptoms above are more severe and they’re joined by other issuesβ€”including fever, headache, muscle aches, and soreness. Importantly, the flu is often marked by vomiting and diarrhea, which are rare with the common cold.

For flu:
All of the symptoms above are more severe - CHECK
Other issues including fever - CHECK
Headache - Not so much
Muscle Aches - CHECK
Soreness - CHECK
Vomiting & Diarrhea - No

So I have some, but not all of the symptoms that differentiate flu from a cold. The high fever is the thing that makes me pretty sure this is flu and not just a cold.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Basil - do you have Lyme disease ticks in your neck o' the woods?

Summer "flu" is often actually a tick-borne disease. Visible rash isn't always there, but high fever and sore muscles sure are.

Just sayin'

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil - do you have Lyme disease ticks in your neck o' the woods?

Summer "flu" is often actually a tick-borne disease. Visible rash isn't always there, but high fever and sore muscles sure are.

Just sayin'

I'm sure Ticks are in some parts of the state, but I've never seen a tick in "these" parts in the 22 years we've lived here.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ACK! Sorry you're going through that. On the rare occasions I've been infected (usually after being in crowds containing school age kids), with fever comes aching knees. And BTW, 103F is nothing to fool around with!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Ticks borne diseases are nothing to sneeze at. My wife came down with Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and spent 10 days in ICU.

The symptoms resemble several other problems and it was pure chance that we mentioned to the Dr about could it be tick related as we live in the woods. Sure enough 7 days later the test results were positive for RMSF. They had started her on a high dose treatment of antibiotics before the results because she was so sick and the test takes so long.
End result was everything turned out fine but it could have been very different.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've had Lyme disease twice and Erlichiosis once. The Erlichiosis was worse. Lost 11 pounds in 10 days and could not eat. After 10 days, wife called 911 and I wound up in the local hospital. A week of antibiotics and I was ok. It kills your white blood cells. Babesiosis - another tick-borne illness - destroys your red cells. Nasty s^%t. No more chasing golf balls in the woods.