• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheeler Dealer New Season

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
According to the trailers, Mike and the new guy are going to refurbish a BJ8 during the coming season. I hope they found one without major rust.

dklawson

Yoda
It will be interesting to see how much repair work they undertake. From Edd China's comments upon exiting the show it sounded like this season could be quite different.

EDIT: "Edd" not "Ed"

Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'll give it a watch. But if it's just "woo-hoo" from the Pillsbury Doughboy and how much can we flip it for -- not so interesting.

I'm conflicted. Edd was the real star of the show--the [bleep]storm over Edd getting booted pretty much proves it--but dang if they aren't featuring a BJ8 (the only other Healey I saw on the show was a Frogeye). On another note, I caught another show from the Brits--'For the Love of Cars'--this one featuring a frame-off of an MG-TC which, coincidentally got painted the same shade of blue as the Frogeye. The host is a Brit and the show has the low-key, sardonic British humor that I suspect most of us like and, at least on the Comcast 'Info' page, the show's icon shows a side/rear shot of a red BN2.

D

Deleted member 8987

Mike is just a used car salesman. Worthless, replaceable by any of tens of thousands of out-of-work no skill used car salesmen.

Edd did the magic.

I see the trailers (ads), not interested.

In fact, I am losing any respect I once had for Velocity.

Why can't any of the major shows get the doors to fit? The side mouldings to line up? The chrome over the headlights to line up with that on the bonnet?
Why is every restoration a six-figure one?

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Just watched Edd discuss, on his Utube channel, why he decided to leave the show. Change of format with less of the mechanical stuff. Seems Discovery Channel, who owns Velovity, bought the the show form the Brit producers and decided that the mechanical stuff was too expensive to shoot for their budget. Edd decided to bail on the show as he was not happy with the new format.
He also did a video saying that people should not blame Mike. It seems like Mike was actually getting death threats regarding Edd leaving.
It appears that the show will be a lot more like the "Love of Cars" format.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
These shows feature cars we love, so what's not to like? All fun.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Oh nooooooooooooo ! Edd not on anymore ! I have learned more stuff watching him work on all different types of cars over the years. He is a mechanic savant. Hope he gets his own show soon. Gonna look for his youtube channel and see what he has to say. Saw the previews of the new Wheeler Dealers and obviously the new guy. Verdicts out on him.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
IIRC, from Edd's video, the main reason he jumped ship is because the new show-runners--Americans (somehow, not surprising)--don't want to spend the production time and expense to show the detailed work and explanations that Edd provided. If WD turns into another 'Fast and Loud' I'll quit watching (after the show with the BJ8 airs). I quit watching 'F&L' when Aaron left, and Aaron was no Edd. The only other show even close to WD is 'FantomWorks,' but they rarely go into the detail that WD did. At least they're not incessantly talking about 'flipping;' for some reason that word makes me cringe. Ian, on 'Extreme 4x4' is nearly Edd-grade but, of course, he only works on off-road vehicles (still some good tidbits of info).

Do most of the 'gearheads' out there really just want to see how shiny paint can get, and how fast somebody can 'flip' a car and for how much profit?

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Edd was the guy. I would generally DVR the program and then FF through Mike buying the car and delivering it to Edd, then carefully watch Edd for any pointers he would give and finally FF to the end. None of the other shows provide any detail on what is going on mechanically and that unfortunately includes Fantom Works which is second in my overall ratings.
I do hope he gets a chance to do a show again.