• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Engine dumping Coolant out its rear end - HELP

decibeldesign

Freshman Member
I finally got my TR3 ready for it's road safety check after 3 years since I bought the non-running car. It had it running ok at the time, a bit of oil would drip from the bell housing when it was running but nothing to bad.

Just as I was getting it ready I tried to start it again and it only backfired a couple of times (not just little backfires but pretty loud and violent). I found that a screw had fallen inside the distributor and jammed up the balancers at the bottom of the distributor. I got the screw out and reset everything. It is running again but pretty rough. Any load on the engine and it stumbles etc. But that is the least of it's problem now.

When the motor is running there is a steady drip of fluid coming from the bottom of the bell housing of the Transmission. I though at first either engine or trans. oil but after closer investigation I am pretty sure it is coolant, and plenty of it. It however does seem to be burning coolant, only the usual sooty exhaust, not clouds of white smoke. Note, I am running Evans waterless coolant in it.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened to cause this, and what I might need to do to fix it?

Thanks

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I suggest shining a light on the back side of the cylinder head to see if you can spot a leak. There are no openings on the rear of the engine inside the bellhousing that would leak coolant. Oil yes, coolant no. If you have a heater inspect under the dash to make sure everything is dry. Could just be a bad hose.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Is the head gasket leaking at the rear of the motor?

Did the motor have coolant in it while you had it stored?

David

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
What does the oil on the dipstick look like? There is also a small metal plate that comes off at the bellhousing that gives a little better view, but it does not seem likely there is coolant coming out there unless the oil has mixed and then it would be milky.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
There is a freeze plug at the back of the cylinder head that I have seen leak that may be running down the back of the engine. I've seen that replaced in situ using one of those rubber expansion type plugs if you don't want to remove the head.

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I suggest setting the points, static timing, set carbs. That will make it happy. In terms of leaking coolant from the back... it's either the headgasket or not. And if it's not, then I would start checking the easiest fixes off your list... hoses, seals, etc. eventually you work your way to a solid crack free block. :smile:

double chrck its coolant, I delevoped a leak of clutch fluid. It drips off the secondary clutch solenoid (which is right next to the area you're talking about), but it took me a couple of glances to figure out where it was dripping from.