• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Are people willing to pay $31K for a 66 B?

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Looks nice, but no thanks, it's out of my league. They also show a '67 GT, unfinished restored body with running engine, probably stock transmission for almost 19,000 US dollars. They can put in a rally engine and 5-speed and finish the car - for a bit more money...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I find there are such staggeringly different prices depending where in the world you are.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Prices are funny things. While it's hard to imagine paying $30k for an MGB, if you have do a full restoration on one you could easily be over that cost. I know I'll likely have more than that in my Bugeye once it's done as I have to pay for bodywork, which isn't cheap.

For that price it would need to be perfect.

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
For that price it would need to be perfect.

I agree. We did that once with a '61 Alvis convertible, and I was reluctant to drive it anywhere. Wound up selling it, and still miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I look at it this way. It would cost more than that to hire out a complete resto - and would take many months to finish. You could do all the work yourself, probably spend that much money and probably spend a few years of your spare time doing it. Or....you could buy a car like this - and start enjoying it NOW....and enjoy driving the car for the next months and years instead of dreaming about it.

Sure, it's going to go down in value. So what. A car is only an investment (maybe) if you store it away and don't use it....and hope it goes up in value. No one buys MGBs as investments...they're bought to use and enjoy. How many people pay that much (or more) for their daily drivers knowing they'll depreciate rapidly over the next few years.

I'd gladly buy an MGB of that quality and start driving it today....if I had the $$$$

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Classic-car prices in Europe are higher, across the board. Then, dealer prices are always higher than individual sales, and the asking prices that dealers slap on their cars are often designed more as a starting point for negotiations than something they expect to get. I suspect that many dealers in the US would not be all that far from this one.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
He's probably flexible on pricing - only has 249 cars for sale at present. He's based in Belgium.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/dealer/oldtimerfarm-bvba?id=31966

So, who's up for a 1935 Matford Alsace? (Matford = Mathis + Ford)

386293_1.jpg

gak

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mmmmm Christmas

Looking at the list if I had 30k to spend at his store it wouldn't be a B. Might sweeten the pot a bit.

Hmmmm Alfa Montreal? Citroen SM? AC 2 Litre? Salmson? (never even heard of Salmson before except in context of Delilah!) :grin:

Off to measure garage and buy lottery tickets - Oh yeah and tear up "thou shalt not covet" sermon - again. :rolleyes: