• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back from the stone age.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We lost power after the tropical storm remnants of Irma passed close by us. That was Monday afternoon and I can't think what the people in Florida went through.

We had no damage to our house or cars unlike a lot of people around here. In fact one family had their house burn down because the stove was on when they lost power and they were out when the power was restored. Something flammable must have been on the stove and it burned the house down.

We do have a good size generator which will run almost everything in the house and it is all wired in so it is just a matter of pushing the generator outside, plugging it in and switching the disconnect over.
For about 4 hours we had Internet so everything was good. Then the cable Internet shut down. I have no idea why this would happen unless there are powered boosters along the cable lines.

On another note I was running the generator for about 4 hours morning and evening to conserve gas. Came to notice our New fridge warms up Quickly even with the doors remaining closed.
Fridge temp at 11.15 pm 34 degrees by 9 am it was 56. I started to run the generator for much longer periods and payed much closer attention to the fridge temperatures. Put an oven temperature probe in the center of the fridge and noted that the fridge display was reading about 4 degrees colder than the probe.
This new fangled fridge with only touch pad adjustments seems to revert to factory default setting every time the power goes out so I had to reset the low setting for both the fridge and freezer every time the power was turned on.

We had coffee, running hot and cold water, charging for our phones and a microwave so we were in good shape.
The power and Internet are back on now.

Hope the people in Florida are doing OK.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Where we sit it's been a lot of cleanup, we've seen power company teams from all over by the hundreds! We're nearly all cleaned up and most folks have power back now.

Post-Irma saw the Alifia river rise to flood a lot of homes in proximity, so our area people are aiding those who are in the worst shape. Except for that we're getting back to normal.

The people in Jacksonville were hit hard, one of our family friends (prior Apache jock, war vet) had a LARGE treelimb crash through their roof into the livingroom. No injuries, but others there weren't so "fortunate" as that. They weren't as well prepared, as the prognosticators were saying the storm would pass west of them. Freakin' thing was 400 miles wide! How would it NOT affect the whole state?!

The Miami relatives weathered it with only minor damage, they've been through enough storms to know what to do. Again, there are those who fared far worse. Two nephews in the area are first responders and they saw a lot of tragedy.