• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A "Midnight" blueTrim

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have very long term plans to go back to original colors "Sebring White" with "blue leather" trim on my green TR3 driver.
Big undertaking, I know, and just dreaming at this point but wonder about the "blue leather" which doesn't seem very specific. I have a few trim pieces from a powder blue TR3 I once had:
blue trim.jpg
From what I can gather from John Skinner's site, "blue leather" would be "midnight blue" and apparently available from him in vinyl but not in leather. 512 Classics has a "Regal Blue" leather set on their site but I find that color nowhere in the Triumph literature. I've requested a color sample from them.
Anybody dealt with blue interiors?
I'd rather something "off the shelf" rather getting into a custom interior.
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom,
While building my TR4 I decided to use TR6 seats. My interior was also midnight blue . I had TRF order the TR6 seat covers in the midnight blue from the TR3/4's. This is not a TR6 color. I do not recall any extra cost over the regular price. They got them from England . The biggest problem was getting my order made. A higher-up decided that I was mistaken in what I was ordering. I did get them and they fit fine. I did use vinyl and not leather. But I doubt that would matter.
Charley

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Charlie. Good to know. Curious as to your paint color.
I also agree that the leather/ vinyl option is pretty insignificant. My preference for leather is only because that's what is on the certificate. The leather option initially included only select elements of trim, the rest in vinyl, so the new all leather interiors would be technically incorrect.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's likely the rub...that some of the interior is still vinyl. You have to be able to match the leather and vinyl blues, and there aren't many blue tints to match. It gets even more complex if you want to match any of the covers, as the exterior, canvas backed vinyl is PVC and not the same as the flexible polyester backed interior vinyl. On the plus side...once you bring it all together it will be very striking, as the blue is not a common option!

I know Tandy leather has offered to match colors for me in the past for leather. You may be able to take some vinyl that you like to them and have them match it in leather. Of course that would commit you to the custom interior you're avoiding?!?

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Charlie, that's one of the best combinations ST ever did, IMO.
John, it is looking more like this will be a custom interior, which is ironic since I'm trying to get it back to original.
Tom

Bo_Bogaty

Freshman Member
Country flag
My TR was restored as original several years ago and the interior is leather and vinyl purchased from John Skinner. I can't say enough about the quality and service received from John. He even sent some extra leather for the capping just in case. I suggest emailing John Skinner about a leather option.

DSC01538.jpg

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Marv. Bo's car certainly looks nice in the photo. I got some carpets and misc panels for the Herald from Skinner's a year or so ago. Very good company to work with.
Tom

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I purchased a TR3A about five years ago. It came with an unused carpet set from Roaster Factory. I recall the color matched what you are showing with your trim piece. Would suggest looking at their website to see if still offered.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I got my midnight blue carpet set for my TR4 from TRF. Good match.
Charley

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Another place that has a lot of experience with TR3 interiors is "2-tall custom interiors". They generally have some things on ebay ...that's how I found them. The are located in Centerville Oh. near Columbus. They helped me out on a matchup situation, but they do complete interiors as well. They will even cover your capping and dash if you send it to them. Seemed to me they were much more reasonable than the usual retail outlets and they have flexibility to work with you.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yes, I corresponded with them once in the past but did not proceed with the project. Perhaps will try again. I notice they make their own seat pans too. Tom