• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Move Over Irma

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
My daughter was very frightened of Hurricane Irma so husband Doug decided he needed to be there for her.

Doug came off his duty and arrived on Wednesday to help Amy batten down for Irma. She has animals and would not leave. For those of you who do not know, Amy lost her husband a little over a year ago and is quite alone. Anyway they were initially in the bullseye. Okeechobee. At last minute after Irma took a turn west, close friends in Sarasota chose to hunker down with her and brought their 2 parrots and 3 cats with them. Amy and Doug prepared a bedroom for them to house their family. They weathered well and all they lost were a few trees. The pond that she and her husband dug 2 years ago did what it was supposed to do and all water stayed away from the house. All cars weathered Irma. They have lost power but the generator is handling necessities. I am feeling very grateful.

Also it needs to be said that when Amy's husband passed they were in the middle of a renovation of a house that was built in the 70's and had very little done to it by way of maintenance. It is a typical stilt house and had an enclosed lower level. Doug put all new pilings a/k/a stilts. He replaced the wooden ones with concrete blocks filled with concrete, replaced all load bearing joists, etc. also replaced all windows with hurricane rated windows. Did extensive plumbing,wiring etc. she had a new roof put on 2 months ago. Summarily it is a structurally sound home. There are just a few items to be completed and Doug is planning on November to finish.

Finally I post because I have a need to say out loud how grateful I am to Doug for his willingness to help Amy and for his ability to do this sort of repair. I am indeed a very fortunate lady to have this man as my husband. I always say in a grateful joking sort of way that he's not bad for being a left handed Polish pilot so I'll keep him for a while. 37 years now and I am still smiling. Doesn't get much better than that.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
a good man and a good family - glad it is a great outcome!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Judy said:
Finally I post because I have a need to say out loud how grateful I am to Doug for his willingness to help Amy and for his ability to do this sort of repair. I am indeed a very fortunate lady to have this man as my husband. I always say in a grateful joking sort of way that he's not bad for being a left handed Polish pilot so I'll keep him for a while. 37 years now and I am still smiling. Doesn't get much better than that.

Nicely put, Judy. :thumbsup: