• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Busy lovely day.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Had our annual church BBQ - which I and a friend organize and run, had an induction of a new minister where I had worked with the congregation to find the new minister - and had dinner with said new minister, her family and other friends, but biggest story was my daughter was ordained as an elder today.

In the Presbyterian Church the church is run by elders - Teaching (ministers) and Ruling (laity) eldership has always been bestowed by the laying on of hands. In the bible people are set apart by the laying on of hands.

eg: Acts 13 [FONT=&quot]
"1
Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers:Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off."

Barnabas and Saul (Paul) then travel about the Mediterranean starting churches and ordaining elders by the laying on of hands. So, logically if I could remember who laid hands on me - which I can - and they could remember who laid hands on them and so on - eventually someone would say "Paul & Barnabas laid hands on me." The question therefore is how long ago was that?

Well, by analogy, when I pastored a church in Florida, I had an elder come up and shake my hand - he then said, "you have shaken the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Jefferson Davis" - so I shook hands with a man who had a friend who had known Jefferson Davis - in other words, three handshakes separate me and 1865.

Using that analogy, if the person laying hands on me was 25 years older than me (for Presbyterians this is not a stretch!) there are only 80 people between my laying on of hands and the laying on of hands by Paul & Barnabas in the bible.

So, today my daughter took her place in that chain. And to make it even more special she had hands laid on, not just by her father but by her grandmother - a very very special (and holy) day indeed!

[/FONT]

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's certainly special when many generations get together to celebrate. Congrats.