• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Recomended enclosed car hauler size?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have no experience with enclosed trailers - but if I were in your situation I would (in addition to asking for opinions) draw the interior dimensions in chalk on the garage floor with the TR in place then imagine working around it to secure it, etc.

Also - whether you are buying used or new you may want to actually measure the interior of the trailer to confirm the exact inside dimensions and noting anything structural (e.g. wheel wells) that might infringe upon them.

parkerg1

I am also looking at a enclosed trailer for my TR. A 14 X 7 should work just fine for a TR3. The inside width of a 7' trailer is 81", and your TR is about 57". That should give you about 12" each side to open the door. Might have to squeeze a little, but should work. I am thinking maybe a 16', just for a little extra room.
Gary

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul,
i have a 18' enclosed trailer that I have towed my TR3 in a number of times. It is minimal size. After using it I would suggest maybe 19 or 20'.
Reasons are you will need room front and rear to get access around the car to strap / tie it down. Plus those tie down points are easiest if they are NOT underneath the car but rather in front and behind or underneath the rear of the car. You will also find that you have MANY other things you want to haul along like a spare trailer tire and so on. These trailers have a sloping floor in the very rear. I do not like positioning the rear wheels of the car on that sloping floor. I prefer to have it more forward on a flat floor if possible. It just seems safer. Also check the actual width on the floor between the inner wheel covers. These wheel covers MAY restrict your ability to open the car doors. Check the location of those wheel covers compared to your car. A longer trailer may allow you to move the car more forward away from those covers. My trailer also has a "third"door located on the driver's side about where one would access the driver's door. I rarely use this and would not have paid extra to get it. But with a wider car it would come in handy. Especially if you had to crawl out of the driver's window to get in or out of the car.
i am sure you are looking at a trailer with the rear door that is used as a loading ramp. These are much safer and very convient.
Charley

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
i have a 7'x16' enclosed trailer. The TR3 and the 250 fit. It is a little time but like Charley said tie down point locations are important.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I carry my MGTF in a 16X7 Box trailer, not much room on the sides to get in and out, but doable. I have carpet on the sides in the door area just in case I bump one of the doors. The rear door is a ramp type. PJ
View attachment 50460

parkerg1

I carry my MGTF in a 16X7 Box trailer, not much room on the sides to get in and out, but doable. I have carpet on the sides in the door area just in case I bump one of the doors. The rear door is a ramp type. PJ
View attachment 50460
Hi Paul
I am looking at a H & H 7 x 16. The salesman says the ramp is good for 1600 lb. Others I have looked at say 1000 lb. Can you load your TF without any problems? I worry a little about bending the ramp. I am thinking of making a couple extra ramps on the door to reinforce it. Not to worried about the TD, but I think my TR3 is a little heavier. What has been your experience?

Gary

Bo_Bogaty

Freshman Member
Country flag
I carry my TR3 in a 16X7 trailer that was made for the car; torsion suspension, heavy frame and ramp, and tie downs properly located for the car. During the past five years I've made many long trips with the rig and never had a problem. I would not recommend a trailer any smaller.

DSC02295.jpg