• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Doc and Mitts in HS shelter

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just got a call from Doc. He and Mitts went ahead and moved to a shelter, a high school 30 miles inland from Tampa. I'm glad they are further from the storm surge, but expect they will get plenty of wind and rain. Doc was going to post something here but the School's wifi firewall won't allow him to post on the forum. He gets a pop-up message that the operation is not permitted. Go figure. I'll pass along any updates from them.

Currently he commented:

Sittin here looking at a real cross-section of humanity!

So far quiet, not much but screaming/crying kids and two conflicting TV stations. Not sure if they have generators ready but I suspect they do. We'll know soon enough.

Tappinng on a tablet and I'm almost like a squrrell staring at a wristwatch.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pass on our care and prayers boss!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can just see the Parents of young kids there -
"Johnny,get away from that strange man!".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can just see the Parents of young kids there -
"Johnny,get away from that strange man!".

mehheh. It was sorta/kinda like that, too. We're back at th' hovel, all is well. Roof intact, power on (only a quick brown-out at around twenty minutes to one am). Currently cutting up all the windfall, lots of tree limbs! Still seeing some gusts and a bit of rain, as well. But all-in-all, our choice of where and what we should settle in back in '85 was pretty sound. After we had weathered what was called "The March No-name Storm" (and it was WORSE than Irma on us) I've been convinced that anything but an oak tree falling down directly onto the roof, the hovel can take it.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good to hear that all is well with you Doc!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad you have that behind you! Bet it's nice to be back in th' hovel, as you call it :cool-new:

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Great news. So happy for you both.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Musta run out of CAB's at the shelter.
Glad to hear you are both safe and sound and no damage to the house.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Musta run out of CAB's at the shelter.
Glad to hear you are both safe and sound and no damage to the house.

That or Doc was distributing them to the aformentioned kids. Glad you're safe my friend

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hey, somebody had to be in charge of emergency CAB distribution!

True enough - FEMA - Feed Everyone Much Alchohol. :whistle:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

They had no adult beverages, and NO COFFEE!! That was unpardonable, IMHO. I took a Thermos full but it went quick. I did beg a cup from some of the EMT folk, though.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Son left Nashville today, picking up his cat in Valdosta and heading back to Boca. He enjoyed the sights of Nashville and the bbq, never having been there before.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Day 4 post-Irma. Still no power in Bonita Springs. FPL hopes to have power restored by Sep. 22.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Day 4 post-Irma. Still no power in Bonita Springs. FPL hopes to have power restored by Sep. 22.

The Springs had the misfortune to be on the "upwind" side of that monster, so got pounded about as hard as anyplace in the actual path. A pal just north in Englewood is without power and no prognostication as to how long that will last.
There are HUNDREDS of utility service trucks here from all over. Amazing to see the willingness to pitch in. The local utility (TECO) would have been overwhelmed otherwise.

Fortunately the hovel is on a priority grid, the Sheriff's Office and county jail are on it so we rarely have a lengthy outage.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Fortunately the hovel is on a priority grid, the Sheriff's Office and county jail are on it so we rarely have a lengthy outage.

Is that because they know what a tragedy it would be if your CAB cooler went out for extended period?