• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Accelerator Say 1960 TR3

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Tim, welcome to BCF! You posted your question in the "New Member Introductions" forum. That s where you introduce yourself t the gang here.

I am moving your post to the Triumph forum (I will leave a re-direct link in the original forum for a while).

So, if you are reading this now you are in the "Triumph" forum.

Basil!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
On the engine side of the firewall you will see where the rod you see on the pedal carries through over the center rear of the engine to a second bearing on the passenger side of the firewall. Adjacent to the firewall, where this rod enters the driver's side to go to the pedal, there is a larger collar against the bearing. This collar has 2 mills style pins...one on the left and the other on the right. To remove the pedal you must remove the left mills pin.

This is much easier said than done, as the pin rarely lines up in a way that you can easily get to the small end to drive it out with a hammer and punch.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Found a pic. This is looking through the firewall from the engine side, and you can see the top of the gas pedal. The rod goes through a bearing to the engine side, and there, on the lower left of the shot you can see the collar and the 2 mills pins sticking up proud of the collar. Your pins will likely be hammered down flush.

QmAu6jB.jpg

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tim,
you did not say if the engine is in the car. If it is not then the two "nylon" bearings can be removed or taken loose and the whole apparatus can be pulled up into the engine compartment.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Tim,
you did not say if the engine is in the car. If it is not then the two "nylon" bearings can be removed or taken loose and the whole apparatus can be pulled up into the engine compartment.
Charley

With mine the sleeve prevents the rod from going into the cabin, as it won't go through the bearing and the bearing won't go through the hole. The sleeve must be un-pinned to get the pedal inboard...and on the other side the throttle lever is too close to the right bearing to move the center rod either. So either way one of the pins must come out to remove anything at all.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,
Might this be yet another difference between the TR2 and the 3's and even 4's?
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just thinking ...you may have installed the bearings from the inside of the car, which would allow removal of the throttle bar without dealing with the pins. The book shows, and both my cars indeed had, the bearings installed on the firewall side which prevents removal of the bar.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,
From your description you appear to be saying that the pedal portion of this assembly will not fit up through the hole in the firewall. For if the bearing and cap are on the engine side then those do not have to come up out of the firewall hole. The only part that has to come up out of the hole is the actual pedal portion. But this maneuver can only be done with the engine out of the car. At least that is what I have experienced with the TR3B and TR4's.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I see what you are saying. None of my pedals will fit through the bearing hole (I did try real hard on the 2, 3, and 3a), and if they did, then you must be able to remove the right side sleeve. Mine will not remove without removing the mill pin from the throttle arm sleeve on that side:

I needed the assembly from my donor car (a '57), and tried to get the assembly out any way I could, as the mills pins would not line up to remove them with the motor in. After a couple hours looking for any alternative I cut the center rod. The pedal still would not come out...simply too big to go through the bearing hole.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,
On my cars both halves of the nylon bearing cover are on the engine side of the firewall. So all that has to be pulled up through the hole is the pedal end . All other parts are already in the engine compartment side.
Charley