• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front Sway Bar on a 56 TR3

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Since i sold my Boxster, I've driven my TR3 in a couple of auto slaloms, what a humbling experience. I would like to reduce the body roll just a bit.
Who has added a front sway bar to an earlier TR3?
What brand or vendor supplied it?
What are the frame attachment points (the lower spring pan assembly or wishbones appear to be the suspension attachment point).
Anyone got a set of installation instructions they could scan and email?
farris dot jd at gmail dot com
Thanks in advance,

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim,
The lower spring pan is the attachment point and then the front bumper supports is the frame location. That is on an Addco sway bar. Now you just have to find one. I have been trying to for about a year now. I am getting the impression that they have quit making the one for the TR3.
Charley

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
They have kits for the TR3. Look at someones TR4 for mounting points. I think they are the same. I do have one on my TR3 and prefer the limitation to the role. By the way, I have done autocross in two different TR3s and neither can make the turns fast enough. At both events, someone had a car tuned for autocross that turned like a mini and the time differential was huge. But it is fun and I would like to do autocross again.
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?44560-TR3A-front-sway-bar-pics

There are ideas at this link.
Jerry

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have one on my 60 TR3A that mounts to the bumper support brackets. I know the brackets are different for the earlier 3's though...but, if you want some pics, I'll see if I can dig some up. Mine is an Addco bar as well.

Cheers
Tush

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for all the info.
I didn't see the Addco bar on Summit racing, but the bar on Rimmer Bros was $313 USD, ouch. The TRF bar is for a TR3A.
On the embedded link, I liked Karl's idea of some square tubing welded between the bumper brackets for rigidity and optional mounting points.
Oh yeah, I don't have a front bumper, so, no bumper brackets.
Tush, I would love to have a couple of pictures of how yours mounts to the frame - don't kill yourself doing this as it appears to be a little more difficult than I first thought.
You folks are the BEST!
Maybe, I just need to be nicer to the wife and slalom her Mini?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Jim,

Here's a few photos from when I got the car.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Tush's car has the later style bumper brackets, which are much more substantial than the early brackets. On the later cars Tush's is the way to go.

On the early cars the most common way would be a separate bracket that mounts to the frame using the bumper through bolts. Like this one:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200387

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
The Rimmers kit is nice, haven't installed it yet but it has the separate brackets so no drilling on your bumper supports

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
So just for tighter handling would the front be sufficient or would you need the rear as well??

IMO, You need the rear as well...

Cheers
Tush

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks JP, you guys are killing me. We haven't gotten the front fixed and you're already talking about the back.
I, too, wondered if the addition of a front bar would just highlight the need for a slightly smaller bar at the rear. And the slippery slope begins.
The folks at Rimmer Bros were nice enough to send me their spec and installation sheet via email. The RW3082 definitely looks like the way to go.
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll purchase the bar and try to get it installed this fall and report back.
Now it's time to enjoy this mid 70's September weather before Irma's rain gets here.
We have a local car show on Saturday as part of my city's Bicentennial Celebration. I'll probably have the only British car there, should be fun.
Ciao!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
:cool: we like spending your money. I have a rear bar on both my 59 and 60. If you need pics of that install later on, please let me know. This should be the same at least.

Cheers
Tush