• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DeWalt or Black and Decker or DeWalt or ????

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My son has recently returned from British Columbia and is hoping to set up a bit of a workshop. This morning I saw a Radial Arm Saw on the local Freecycle - called and sure enough, picked it up this afternoon.

Well turned out to be a very heavy Black & Decker/ DeWalt saw. I didn't know that a) DeWalt got his start by inventing a Radial Arm Saw or that in 1960 Black & Decker bought them. This saw has both Black & Decker AND DeWalt on it - as well as Made in Canada.

Quite a score I think.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I did not know that for sure but not surprised. As a teen, many years ago, I had several jobs in local lumber yards due to father's influence. They all had huge DeWalt radial saws in those days, the only place I ever saw the name at the time. Also wasn't sure of the date but did know of the D&B purchase. I have a couple of older DeWalt tools from B&D. Don't remember ever seeing anything with both names though. You should have a fine saw there and bonus that it was "locally made."

dklawson

Yoda
When I was growing up I never heard of DeWalt and Black & Decker power tools were the thing to have. When as an adult I started buying tools, all the yard care stuff was B&D. All those yard care tools turned out to be bad investments. Since then I have gone out of my way to buy any other brand I could find with decent product reviews.

I am sure your older saw is made better than the stuff made now. Congrats on your score and be sure to maintain it so it lasts!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeWalt

"The original company was started in 1923 by Raymond E. DeWalt, the inventor of the radial arm saw. The company grew quickly and was reorganized and re-incorporated in 1947 as DeWalt Inc.

After buying the company in 1949, American Machine & Foundry Co., Inc. sold it to Black & Decker in 1960."

Neat history - explains why Bayless saw the brand in a Lumberyard!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have DeWalt, Rockwell, Black & Decker, all are good tools, the Black & Decker battery powered drill has been the handiest drill I've ever owned, I use it for everything, has 2 speed gearing and a progressive trigger, very powerful in low gear, if the slip clutch is in the locked position and what your drilling hangs up, it'll snap your wrist if you don't hold on to it with both hands! Love it! PJ

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T milemarker60 dave dewalt Triumph 0
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinders - black extension? Triumph 6
angelfj1 TR5/TR250 TR250 Need Help identifying wires (2 - black) feeding starting solenoid Triumph 6
T For Sale MGB Black Label Overdrive For Sale Or Trade For New RB Parts MG Classifieds 2
tr6nitjulius General TR Sir John Black Drive Your TRIUMPH Day 2/10/22 Triumph 0
G TR6 Engine Cutout, Black Smoke, Large Backfire Triumph 7
KiwiStagguy For Sale Stag Black Mohair New top Cheap Triumph Classifieds 0
somewhatspritely The black paint on replacement panels. Restoration & Tools 7
J For Sale Triumph TR2 TR3 TR3A New Moss Motors Black Karvel Style Carpet Kit Triumph Classifieds 0
Leatherman Wanted Red and black TR2 / 3 front emblem Triumph Classifieds 6
L For Sale 1964 Austin FX4 Black Cab Other British Classifieds 0
B For Sale Brand New Black Tonneau Cover for BN4 and BT7 - for Right Hand Drive Car Austin Healey Classifieds 0
HealeyRick Just in Time for Black Friday Austin Healey 0
Jim_Stevens TR2/3/3A Rear fender stays: black or body color? Triumph 8
steveg Conclave Deadwood 2019 - Black Hills Maps Austin Healey 2
D TR6 1976 TR6 Black Painted Parts Triumph 2
M TR2/3/3A For those with blue/white/black TR3 badges Triumph 7
C I'm looking at a 1974 MG Midget [chrome bumpers with black sabrinas] Spridgets 9
mrv8q TR2/3/3A Califiornia Black Plate Syncronicity Triumph 1
Rhodyspit75 TR2/3/3A Speed is the new black. TR3 Triumph 5
AngliaGT Black Lightning Motorcycle Cafe British Motorbikes 2
C For Sale 1965 TR4 Red - Black Interior Triumph Classifieds 4
AH67 General TR Touch up Paint 11/PAA Black Triumph 2
Zitch For Sale FS- Brand new Black TR4 Deluxe Carpet Kit Triumph Classifieds 2
Jim_Gruber New Tiew Rod Ends. Paint Black Y/N Spridgets 5
Jim_Gruber Paint Color - Black Satin or Black Glossy for Suspension components Spridgets 9
Csarneson BP Northwest Black Friday Sale Austin Healey 0
Jim_Gruber BE Gauges and Speedhut - Is it a 3 3/8" Gauge???? now 20% off Black Friday Sale Spridgets 10
K TR4/4A Black marks on a TR4A/TR6 vinyl top boot cover? Triumph 4
Chancevought953 Black welt piping on aluminum surrounds Austin Healey 1
S TR2/3/3A black epoxy primer Triumph 1
G Black Box Spridgets 4
M TR2/3/3A Two black wires on control box E where do they g0 after alternator conversion? Triumph 9
Sopwith_Camel the black wire or the black wire or the black wire or the black wire Jaguar 3
M TR4/4A Carpet....Black or Charcoal Grey? Triumph 9
paul9999 London Black Cab Other British Cars 18
Martinld123 Small Puff of Black Smoke When I Blip Throttle Austin Healey 6
T TR6 Black sooty plugs continue - What now? Triumph 29
tahoe healey tire black Austin Healey 13
B Replacement of Small Black Wire inside Distributor Austin Healey 15
R TR4/4A What color black paint in hte interior Triumph 1
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Gloss black or satin black paint Triumph 17
R BN6 Brake Drums, Black or Aluminum/Silver? Austin Healey 3
60TR3A Should My '63 BJ7's Carburetors Have Brass Caps or Black Plastic? Austin Healey 3
AH100M Why weren't sill and wing flanges painted black on BN1s and BN2s? Austin Healey 12
jollyroger Black seat kits for 62 sprite/midget Spridgets 6
R removing black seam sealing Austin Healey 3
DerekJ Primrose Yellow / Black with yellow upholstery Austin Healey 18
T black snaps for convertible top Triumph 11
Hap Waldrop Acme Speed Shop VTO wheel Black Friday Sale 20% off Racing 0