• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who sells this part?

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys, who sells this rubber part for BJ7 & 8's. I have checked around and can't seem to identify a vendor. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 244
Country flag
Looks to be something that would come with a new hood (convertible top). I checked my BJ8, and there seems to be remnants of something like that, but I'm guessing they were lost over time or when the hood got replaced. Maybe one of the companies that makes new hoods (Robbins, etc.)? If you locate some please let us know; looks like these would prevent some wear-and-tear on soft parts.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Guys, who sells this rubber part for BJ7 & 8's. I have checked around and can't seem to identify a vendor. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The "caps" are available from the usual suppliers. Note: you need to trim the center part out of it or it won't fit over the end of the fuzzy seal. The cap can be held in place with clear rubber cement.

Last edited:

number6

Jedi Trainee
Try Macgregor British car parts, on the web.

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Thanks for responding. But I am not asking about the end caps for the seal. There seems to be a rubber piece that mounts on the body, and mates up to the seal when the soft top is up. My car came to me as a project, there were a bunch of these soft pieces missing. I only noticed these on a few BJ8s at the Encounter show.

This picture is from a recent restoration from the concour judging.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 160

number6

Jedi Trainee
Bad thing about that site is lack of illustrations, I would give a call and ask them. They may carry them but are not listed.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for responding. But I am not asking about the end caps for the seal. There seems to be a rubber piece that mounts on the body, and mates up to the seal when the soft top is up. My car came to me as a project, there were a bunch of these soft pieces missing. I only noticed these on a few BJ8s at the Encounter show.

This picture is from a recent restoration from the concour judging.
The rubber piece you're referring to is probably the Bonnet rubber bumpers. These must be cut to fit. There's variations in the fit of the car where all this cones together so that's why you need to do custom fitting with a razor knife. Bending the aluminum strip that this attaches to might be required to get a good fit. Patience is needed to get the best fit possible to keep the water out.

Last edited:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yep these are available from AH Spares - item number DRF214, other suppliers may also have them, called a finishing strip, they are a silly piece of rubber mounted on an aluminium strip that is screwed into the inside edge of the cockpit and cantilever out over the gap between the chrome strip and the seal. I have installed mine but I am having trouble with them staying put, the Ali tends to bend when the door is shut and the result looks terrible.

:cheers:

Bob

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Yep these are available from AH Spares - item number DRF214, other suppliers may also have them, called a finishing strip, they are a silly piece of rubber mounted on an aluminium strip that is screwed into the inside edge of the cockpit and cantilever out over the gap between the chrome strip and the seal. I have installed mine but I am having trouble with them staying put, the Ali tends to bend when the door is shut and the result looks terrible.

Bob
I got mine to look good but I'm not happy with the fact that they can still leak water inside.

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Awesome!!!! Thanks guys. I never did check AH Spares. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The hardware for this was still on my BJ8. I just cut a similar piece of rubber with an exacto knife and mounted it on top.

Cheers

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The hardware for this was still on my BJ8. I just cut a similar piece of rubber with an exacto knife and mounted it on top.

Cheers

A good idea. I have been thinking about modifying the fixing idea, but maybe I will take your route.

Bob

Proctor

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
You can also obtain from A Head 4 Healey DR4490 a little cheaper. A H Spares is $19.14. AH4H is $18.56. Each for a pair. BMC No. AHB9930. Top Seal Assy - Shut Pillar (pr). I am in the process of restoring a Phase 2 (41960). I have found if you google the BMC Number you may find a vendor.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bill,

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. The part is pictured and listed on Moss under the Door Fittings & Seals and listed as for L/H and R/H
803-875$29.99
SEAL, shut pillar, top, L/H

This is a rather simple part and you should be able to find it at a lower price. Although I replaced these metal and rubber bumpers as recently as 2005, I don't believe I needed to modify them and slightly bent the metal fixtures to place the rubber in the proper position under the convertible top's rubber weather strips on each side.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bob,

Sorry but I tried and failed to get a good picture. The rubber section is attached to a longer piece of metal that is mounted with 2 screws onto holes on the inside of the chrome metal surround. The metal mounts place the rubber part in the area were the door weather stripping turns to attach to the top forward portion of the back side interior panel and provides a closure with the bottom of the convertible top's weather stripping around the window with the top is in place.

Of the 4 BJ8s I looked at recently, mine was the only one with the parts installed and the other owners were unaware they were missing. These parts are side specific and I feel the cost (posted by Moss) is out of line with the simplicity of their construction. If no one provides a picture of the installed part, I will try again.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Ray

Thank you for your help with this. I have noticed that many cars no longer have this part. I only noticed this when recently viewing a concour prepared car.