• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Here we go again....

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Generally I try to not worry about the little things. But my 1959 TR3 is starting to sweat. Houston weather this time of year is less than ideal for top down roadstering, but hurricanes are another story. 'Butter' has already been thru Katrina -in the eye and on the wet side, and we saw pass one of Harvey last night. The street flooding came up the yard, but the TR3 sat in the dry garage just listening to the pounding (22") of rain. The predictions call for a total of 50" of rain by Friday because Harvey is expected to go back out into the Gulf, gather more water and momentum, and come back across Houston. Our subdivision is already flooding because Buffalo Bayou is more than a foot over it's banks, and back feeding the drainage. At 2AM tonight, they will start to drain the flood detention dam into Buffalo Bayou because they can't hold all the rain headed this way. The Bayou may rise 1' to 3' along it's length.

I just came from the garage. I put Butter on 4 jack stands as high as they will go. It's raining hard. Time for a beer.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Best wishes for a good outcome on all of this. Knowing the basic lay of the land around Houston, flooding seems to have always been a problem, but it also seems to be getting worse than it used to be. Hopefully the garage will continue to stay dry and putting Butter up on the stands was an effort that didn't need to made but I sure don't think that going onto the stands was a bad idea at this point.

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a Butter of my own here (Primrose TR3a) and was flooded a few times from coastal Nor'easters so I can feel your pain. Do as much as you can and hope for the best. God bless, we are praying for all on the gulf coast.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Jerry, hope the water stopped before it reached your house...and Triumph. I've been checking in with our family in your area, and it sounds like it's started back down. Crossing my fingers Harvey doesn't loop back around to you guys.

Also, I really think "Butter" is the wrong name. She should be called "Stormy", or if a he, then "Hurricane".

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for asking John- I'm around and relatively dry. Day 5 of non-stop East Texas rain but nothing like what hit Houston and no real flooding to contend with. I've been in touch with Jerry, lets keep fingers crossed for him and his wife - he is in one of those neighborhoods still in question as the rain has stopped but the reservoirs are at their banks in West Houston. They are still dry, I'm sure Butter will be fine, just hope they dont get water encroachment into their home, their place has beautiful hardwood flooring I wouldn't want to see damaged.

I know of a few club members with wet cars, but don't know yet how bad things will be - plenty of work ahead for a lot of people there. Its still unreal.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks guys. Here's a picture I took this afternoon of the scene around our place. That's my wife standing under the star in front of our now bayou side house. It's a mad house around here as water slowly rises and people freak out. It's enough to make a man drink. The anticipation is... un-nerving. The water's only come up about 1.5" since 8AM, but the releases into the bayou will continue until they exceed the amount of water entering the flood control dams, or excessive flooding forces them to slow down.

As Mel Brooks would say, it could be worse... it could be raining.

Attachments

• DamWater.jpg
    DamWater.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 114

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I can feel for the everyone in Houston as we went through the flood of 1994 in Macon.
Our house was fine but some relatives had their houses with water within 6" of the ceiling. What a mess. The water left a thick muddy film on everything.

David

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
We went thru Ivan in 94 and Katrina in 95 and consider ourselves very lucky since the water didn't rise enough to flood our place. The wind and wind driven rain was bad enough without the flooding...can't imagine what's it's like. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone affected!
Rut

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Glad to hear you're both still above water. We're riveted on the news up here...praying it'll start down soon. And for the irony of living in Texas, we are having to use sprinklers up here in Fort Worth. Not a drop of Harvey made it this far north.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear that Texs; sounds like you are trapped that must be a horrible feeling. We have such high mountains around here that high ground is close, but again we do get floods in valleys. You have my prayers.
steve