• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Back at It

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Well after a several year absence I'm back in the MGB fraternity. Recently purchased a very clean 71 BGT in Bedouin beige. It has AC that works OK, but needs some attention. Overall the car is in excellent condition. My thanks to the previous caretakers. My question is the car has the twin SU carbs and I'm a big SU carb fan. Really don't want to do a Weber conversion, but when you engage the AC it would be nice to have the RPM's click up w/ the compressor. Right now you need to pull the choke out a bit. Has anyone installed a vacuum or electronic throttle solenoid to kick up the RPM's. If so any pics/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• bgt 1A.jpg
    bgt 1A.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 121

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
no advice but, welcome home, great looking car and one of my very favourite colours!

Country flag
Doc or Hap may have some insight?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No much you can do to compensate for the drag as the A/C kicks in unless it involves more electronics. Rather than try to compensate that way, just give it choke to add more fuel! You could add a bunch of microswitched throttle settings and A/C cut-in controls but the effort has ~diminishing returns~ IMHO.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There is a simple device that could be adapted to a basic system, it's a small solenoid with a plunger that extends when power is applied to it. It can be wired into the AC. My old Ford Ranger pickup has one on it. They are adjustable by screwing the unit in or out of it's mounting bracket. With a little ingenuity I'm sure the bracket could be adapted to mount on a SU setup. PJ
Pic.
View attachment 50145
Sorry for the spelling error. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you work out a way to install an idle up solenoid like Paul pictures above, wire it so it's triggered by the power to the AC clutch. That way, it'll only kick in when the AC compressor is running. That should allow you to maintain a fairly constant idle - which is the only time it really matters anyway.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Paul161,
Found that solenoid on ebay and looks promising. I'm going to give it a shot and play around with some bracketing "someplace"!! I suspect I'll tinker with it till I break something and then go back to doc's suggestion......geeze it's good to be back. Either way I'll keep posting my success or results. Thanks for all the comments. Really love the GT and it's off to it's first car show tomorrow.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
BTW, the GT looks great!