• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tpms?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I wondered if anyone has had success resetting a TPMS system?

Symptom: TPMS warning light on dash stays on.

View attachment 50116

The dealer scan shows all four tire sensors are working properly, tires are set to proper psi, but TPMS warning light stays on.

The "accepted" (?) DIY technique involves changing tires pressure to be out of spec, then grounding the TPMS plug under the dash to establish system "learning mode", then driving until system recognizes the change. Then set tires to spec and TPMS warning light goes out.

Lots of web posts on "this worked for me!", but posters usually say they modified the technique or had slightly different symptoms.

Has anyone on BCF actually done this? reset a TPMS system?

Thanks.
Tom M.

dklawson

Yoda
On a more serious note, my daily driver does not have a TPM system. My wife's last two cars have. Both of her cars have driven her crazy with service guys who messed with something or changes in temperature that triggered false alarms. They are a great idea but when they keep giving false alarms... you start ignoring them.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - I agree 100%. With my 2010 Altima, the warning doesn't tell you which tire may be low - just "a tire may be low". So you have to check each tire. And so far, no one has been able to tell me when the warning is activated, altho' several Nissan forums say TPMS warns if tire is 25% below specified psi. I think I'd notice 25% without a warning system. yeesh

TM

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Success. Here's how I reset the TPMS.

Set tire pressures to 34 31 28 26 moving clockwise from driver side front.

Removed lower dash panel at driver side.

Find TPMS reset plug - small white plug with only one lead, up behind one of the black taped harnesses.

View attachment 50123
Stick paperclip into plug.

Start engine.

Touch paperclip to chassis (steering column support) several times until TPMS light starts flashing. This starts TPMS "learn mode".

Remove paperclip and replace dash panel.

Drive several miles until TPMS light goes off.

Engine off.

Reset tire pressures to spec (33 psi).

Start engine - TPMS light comes on.

Drive several miles and TPMS light goes off.

Nothin' to it.

(good grief ..)

TM
2010 Nissan Altima 3.5

Last edited:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Makes me happy that TPMS is the ONE option my wife's Saab does not have.

number6

Jedi Trainee
My wife's Suzuki had the system and it would always need new sensors about once a year. After replacing several of them, I yanked them put as I replaced tires. Solution was to buy an aftermarket external system that replaces the valve caps. Nice as it gives individual readings for each tire, pressure and temp. Cost about 50 bucks. seems to work fine.

D

Deleted member 8987

Buy a good tyre pressure gauge. Remove the lamp from the dash. Then enter "learning" mode by checking tyre pressures once a week.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Don't know what car you have, but my 03 MINI S has a TPMS reset button, my 011 has to be driven with all tires aired the same until light goes out. My Rover tells you which tire is low, but will reset itself if you ignore it. A diagnostic system for specific car will have a reset. The TPMS could also be coordinated with the ABS system and traction control system.