• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Total Eclipse Pics

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Taken here in Tennessee:

PICT0274.jpg

PICT0277.jpg

PICT0290.jpg

PICT0294.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very cool!
It didn't get very dark here in PA, just strangely "overcast"

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very cool!
It didn't get very dark here in PA, just strangely "overcast"

I was really surprised that it didn't get very dark here, despite those pictures. More like twilight. We saw a couple of planets, but no stars.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great photos Mickey!

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Great pictures, Mickey. We didn't get squat of the sun but some cool pictures of the leaf pattern on the drive after totality. Neatest think in nature i've ever seen.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Great photos! You were lucky with the weather too.

Did you notice any change in critters? crickets chirping, roosters crowing, etc.?

TM

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The only change noticed was a short drop in temperature. Critters apparently were not impressed.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It was also amazing how different 99% vs. 100% was. People who stayed in Portland saw 99.3%... and that resulted in a 10 degree drop in temperature and darkened sky. We drove 30 minutes south for 1m16s of totality. That 1% made ALL THE DIFFERENCE! Further drop in temp and then a sudden burst of the very white corona (seen with the naked eye) and a black moon. It was stunning. Didn't see Bailey's Beads (at the start) but did find the "Diamond Ring" to be spectacular (at the end). Weather was a perfect as it could be.

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here's what a lousy cell phone recorded (and it looked SO much better than this).
2017-08-21 totality.jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My pictures were taken with a Konika Minolta 7D digital SLR and a Tamron 70-300 mm tele-macro zoom lens, set at 300mm and automatic function. And no tripod - just hand-held. Nothing fancy, as I have no real experience with manual settings. Didn't try to take any earlier or later than totality, as I read that without a solar filter, the camera would be damaged. Not to mention my eyes! I think I got lucky with the shots I got!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here are a few. First a few from the day before of the ranch where we camped.

Eclipse-1.jpg

Eclipse-2.jpg

Eclipse-4.jpg

Eclipse-9.jpg

A few of the eclipse

Eclipse-10.jpg

Eclipse-11.jpg

Eclipse-12.jpg

Eclipse-14.jpg

Eclipse-13.jpg

Eclipse-16.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Basil - those pictures are excellent! You've spurred me to getting under a full eclipse next time - 2024. Probably Vermont, Quebec, or Maine.

Bravo on the Cytography!
Tom M.
(I was going to make some photos myself, but ran out of albumen and silver nitrate ...)

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow, Basil... some solar flares visible in one of those!!!

And, Mickey, I'm amazed you shot those without a tripod.

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wow, (er, Basil)... some solar flares visible in one of those!!!

And, Mickey, I'm amazed you shot those without a tripod.

Thanks! All were shot with a Canon 7DII and a Sigma 150-600mm lens on a tripod. I was using a Firecrest 18-stop solar filter for the eclipse pictures (pre-totality) and no filter at all during totality. All pics were shot at ISO 100 and f8, then I used shutter speed to control exposure. In the first picture of totality, the pinkish-white area near the lower left quadrant I think (hope) are called "Baily's Beads where the sun shines though the lunar valleys. I shot at a series of exposures so that I could hopefully capture both Baily's Beads and prominences (Which are the small flare-like pinkish projections at top and on the right of the image). Once I shot at relatively fast shutter speeds to capture those features, I shot a series from 1/125 sec to about 8 sec in 1-stop increments to correctly expose different parts of the corona.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
There were definitely Bailey's Beads in the first shot of totality. Amazing.