• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Any 4A owner can answer this question

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Actually 2 questions
1. Where does the windshield washer supply hose go through the firewall?
2. Where does the overdrive relay mount?
Mucho Gracias

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have a 4, not a 4A though they are possibly the same in this instance.

The washer tube slips through a grommet just below the commission plate, very near the bottle itself:

f3ihs9ng.jpg

The OD relay is typically mounted on the back of the battery box, center and near the bottom edge:

vt1rvS9.jpg

Note that I installed mine when I added OD - so not original. I pointed the contacts up but have seen some that have the contacts pointing down, which may very well be correct.

BTW - That is an inline 8 amp Slow-Blow fuse added to the brown wire circuit. In theory it should save the wiring if the internal OD solenoid switch that energizes the pull-in coil should ever stick. Has been known to happen.

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi George.
I have the harness for the stop lamp switch going though that grommet that you are using for the scree washer hose. I noticed that you have a blue and a black something (wires I guess) both going through the grommet that I am using for the wiper wires only. I defer to you on this since I can't find any other through hole in the area.
Good tip on the fused relay. The wiring diagram shows unfused power to OD relay which can be a problem.
By the way, what is supposed to go on the chassis ground in the upper right corner of the first picture?
Thanks for the pictures and the help

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Actually on a TR4 the relay was on the passenger footwell side of the battery box, at least it was on the TR4 I had which was a factory OD car.

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This is an overdrive from a donor that I parted out. Plenty of wires ; relay could fit almost anywhere. I think that I'm going to plant it wherever it is easiest and out of the way. However I will take George's tip on fusing it.
Thanks for helping out
Al

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I noticed that you have a blue and a black something (wires I guess) both going through the grommet that I am using for the wiper wires only...

On a TR4 the harness wrap is bright blue tape. That 'black something' is a plastic sleeve containing the 2 wires for the brake light switch.

I have no idea what that thing is you speculating is a chassis ground. It is a pretty stout stud (I added the nut and washer so it would look less lonely) possibly it was used for something on RHD cars?

Actually on a TR4 the relay was on the passenger footwell side of the battery box, at least it was on the TR4 I had which was a factory OD car.

Good to know. That is also probably an easier place to get at, particularly if you have a heater (mine doesn't).

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The replacement harness that I got is cloth wrapped. The extension by the wiper motor has 4 wires, one of which is a double black with what looks like a ground connector.
The schematic in the manual shows the wiper motor cable to ground so I suspect that the double black is supposed to ground on that stud and link to wiper motor chassis, but I haven't traced it through yet.