• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Something's burning

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So with two old cars to work on, I had to rent a storage stall in Waikiki for my TR2. I found one with a great monthly rate, and soon learned why. The entry ramp is ridiculously steep and requires a card entry swipe at the bottom to lift the gate at the top. Even my modern car spins the tires a bit as I swipe the card and then start up the very very steep ramp.

Here is the issue. With the TR2, I have to stop at the very bottom of the ramp slope, and then start up using the clutch very aggressively to control the car going up the ramp. The car has very good torque so it goes up fine, but at the top I smelled a definite burning smell that I think was clutch lining paying the price for my riding the clutch up the ramp. How bad is this on the clutch if I do it once a week or so like that? I may try putting the entry card on a long pole so I can start up on the level part, but dang this is a bitch and I don't want to damage the car.

Dan

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely not a good thing. It can glaze the clutch and flywheel faces and cause chattering. If it gets very hot it can weaken the clutch springs, allowing the clutch to slip. You better ship the 2 to me so I can look after it!

Seriously, is there any chance of backing up and getting a running start after swiping the card?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I recall a story from someone who witnessed TR3s being loaded onto a ship bound for the U.S. They would line 10 cars up (wooden) bumper to bumper then get in car number 10, start it up and push the whole lot up the ramp and onto the deck of the ship.

One wonders how soon the eventual owner of car #10 had to replace the clutch.

doc50

Jedi Trainee
My dad had a '23 Studebaker in college. It was so underpowered, he had to back up steeper hills.
Reverse is a lower gear, so if you did that, maybe it would help get up the hill. Good luck.

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The engine in our TR's has a LOT of low end torque. Have you tried just letting the clutch out once you get past the starting point? Slipping the clutch just allows you to give it more gas and not allow the car to utilize the power generated by the engine.
Charley

OP

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I do think it is a matter of needing better technique on my part, and if I lose my nerve I may use a partner to swipe the card for me so I don't have to stop partway up the slope. Thanks guys!

Dan

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
That would be the logical approach...even if it's just asking an innocent bystander.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
No advice really, Dan, but your dilemma reminds me of one of the highlights of my brief stint at a dealership in the early 60's. Unlike today's sprawling dealership's with acres of cars, ours was in a tiny mid city building with several levels and no lifts. It had an outside ramp to the basement and inside ramps to the upper floors, all steep, dark and too narrow for your modern SUV. Since nobody liked to move the cars up and down, I, being lowest on the food chain, often got the job. I did ok until I stalled one midway up and couldn't restart it. Stupidly, I opened the door to check my clearance from the wall before backing down. My foot slipped off the brake, only for a millisecond but long enough for the door to catch a protrusion on the wall and anchor the car there firmly. One way to move up the chain though, I was rarely given the task after that. Probably contributed to the brevity of my stint there too.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Defiantly not good, and Seattle is a lot closer than Texas for shipping and I will pay. Yea bad choice for storage if you go in and out a lot. The buddy helping is the best for this situation, maybe sublet to someone with an auto box if you bought a lease.
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Defiantly not good, and Seattle is a lot closer than Texas for shipping and I will pay. Yea bad choice for storage if you go in and out a lot. The buddy helping is the best for this situation, maybe sublet to someone with an auto box if you bought a lease.
steve

Having spent several weeks on Oahu this spring, I know Dan's dilemma! I think every parking spot on the island is being used. Service garages have, like, 30 cars wedged into what looks like the size of a 2 car garage. Dan likely had to search for a while to find the tight storage he has. I still think I should look after his TR2 for him!

OP

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes, parking space is very expensive and hard to find over here. Plus, for my Hagerty insurance I need a locked garage, which my home garage is not. But it is part of the cost I accept to have my cars here in paradise. Hawaii is good for a classic car if you are not on the windward (salty air) side of the island.

Dan

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
:wink-new: good story, we all have our youthful horror stories!

D

Deleted member 8987

On the old Studebaker.
I went on a car tour once, long ago..this guy had a Stude Phaeton with chain drive generator.
His claim was when he got on a steep road, they hit the starter...the generator was a combination starter/generator, factory, hence the chain drive...and it would almost double the available horsepower. No idea how long the battery would hold up.
The other thing is old Model "T" Fords....fuel tank under the seat, if I recall...and no fuel pump.
I have a book on these....very old book...how they would not feed fuel on a grade over a certain amount.
Had to back up.