• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soul-Crushing traffic

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well this sounds ominous :scared: Soul Crushing traffic <<
Me and SWMBO will spend Saturday night at my sister's home in Cheyenne, then Sunday AM heading to a ranch outside of Casper that belongs to a friend of my sister. We will camp in a tent at the ranch (they already have a full house of relatives). This location is very close to centerline of totality. In fact, per my Eclipse Timer App, the difference it totality duration between centerline and our location will be less than 1 second. Wish me luck!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
:thumbsup:

Just got this in email. I imagine similar concerns for UPS and USPS are germane.

fedexdelays.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's getting crazy here in Tennessee. Along I-40 there are signs that say, " No parking on shoulder or ramps during eclipse." And a friend just told me that all along Hwy 411 & 68 between Maryville and Tellico Plains (ground zero for totality) are signs: "Parking $20", and even some folks standing alongside the road with "Jesus Is Coming" signs.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hope he brings $20 to park :angel:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I hope he brings $20 to park :angel:

HA!

Not sure if I've already shared this gem: The wife of that same friend works for TVA, who are offering viewing at several of their dam sites. She told us that they have received phone calls inquiring whether they'll be supplying tents for "conjugal visits" - apparently eclipse babies are special!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
HA!

Not sure if I've already shared this gem: The wife of that same friend works for TVA, who are offering viewing at several of their dam sites. She told us that they have received phone calls inquiring whether they'll be supplying tents for "conjugal visits" - apparently eclipse babies are special!

Every now and then I think I'm old enough to have heard it all... then I stand corrected. :smile:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Drove up to my sister's house in Cheyenne today. I was expecting much worse traffic. There were a few spots, especially between Colo Springs and Denver that slowed to a crawl, but otherwise the traffic wasn't terrible. We leave early tomorrow to drive from here to the Ranch where we will be viewing. I imagine that drive will be "interesting."

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here at 4AM there doesn't appear to be any traffic on the freeway south. We are joining an "Eclipse Party" at 9AM. Partial eclipse begins, for us, at about 9:05 and totality at 10:18. At the location about 45 minutes south of Portland, totality will only last about 1 minute 16 seconds (due to curvature of the moon), but that should do it. My biggest concern is traffic AFTER it since everyone will likely departing at the same time (vs. the gradual accumulation of the last few days).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hope the traffic doesn't overshadow the event.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Surprised no one has posted this yet:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bas, enjoy your viewing today, I will only be seeing an 80% eclipse but hope to make the one in 2024 (it will pass through SE OK).

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Sitting in a Village Inn in Douglas Wy after the day viewing the eclipse. I "think" I have some great pics to share. We were guests of some folks with a 10k acre ranch and you coukd not ask for a better viewing location!