• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Road trip

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Good morning everyone! My wife and I are headed out today or in the morning to Genoa City, WI to pick up Jims TR4a, Desert TR. We leave Tuscaloosa and stop in Memphis for sight seeing and will spend the night, then head to St Louis and do the same. From St Louis it will take about 5 hours to make it to Genoa City where we will meet Jims brother, Steve Philips and load up the car along with all the extra parts. My wife wants a more leisurely trip this time since I'm usually pretty concentrated on the task at hand, so each stop is about 4 hours apart. We plan on some of the usual tourist things, but I would like some suggestions from the locals since I've traveled to Memphis often and St Louis several times...wife has never been to St Louis. So far it's down to this: Beal Street and Rendezvous in Memphis and the zoo, Arch, and the Hill in St Louis.
We have not planned our return trip and we will be pulling a trailer and have a bed full of goodies which will be covered, but not really secure. We are going to avoid Chicago, but we are thinking Indianapolis and Nashville as our overnights on the way home. Nashville is covered since we have relatives there, but other than the Speedway I don't have a clue about things to do in Indianapolis. Let me know what y'all think and I'll post pictures along the way.
Thanks, Rut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Enjoy your trip Rut!

Just a suggestion, Genoa City is about 10 miles away from Silver Lake - if you can include some Triumph content in your trip, consider stopping in at the Silver Lake Triumph Centre owned by Steve Yott - Steve has helped me many times, does some great work on TR engines, and owns an extremely nice red TR4A. Might be worth a quick stop in and chat.

Also, not sure your timing, but are you going to catch the total eclipse?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Although I haven't been, the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville looks interesting.

I have been up and down those roads a few times, but it seems I'm always in a hurry to get somewhere. I only stop at the destination, unless I break down. I'd like to hear about your road trip.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randy,
Ill make it a point to visit Silver Lake while I'm in the area since it may be my only time. The Lane museum is on my bucket list and that's a definite stop. The eclipse is one of those things that doesn't interest me that much...if we are in the area where it occurs I'm sure we'll stop and look.
Thanks, Rut

Country flag
Rut,
went thru T town about 11am today headed the other way. In NOLA now to see my daughter. Lane Motor Museum is fun. There are some cars there you won't see anywhere else. I bought a TR3 out of the basement there a few years ago. Have a good trip.

Marv

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Rut,
went thru T town about 11am today headed the other way. In NOLA now to see my daughter. Lane Motor Museum is fun. There are some cars there you won't see anywhere else. I bought a TR3 out of the basement there a few years ago. Have a good trip.

Marv

You gotta do Bud"s Broiler off City Park Ave! #4 with hickory sauce...only the locals know about it!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Have a safe and enjoyable trip to pick up your new TR.

It is exciting going to get a new car. My drive was only 360 miles each way but I was so pumped when I loaded up my TR. It had languished in a basement for 20+ years now I hope to have it in the sunlight soon.

David

tomshobby

Yoda
Randy,
Ill make it a point to visit Silver Lake while I'm in the area since it may be my only time. The Lane museum is on my bucket list and that's a definite stop. The eclipse is one of those things that doesn't interest me that much...if we are in the area where it occurs I'm sure we'll stop and look.
Thanks, Rut

Getting pretty close to my part of the country. Madison, WI area. Got a few car things going on the next few days starting with a visit to the Ring Brothers shop for a tour. https://ringbrothers.com/ A car show Saturday and a tour on Sunday all in that TR6 I have been restoring. And it runs great.

I also encourage visiting the Lane Museum in Nashville. Shirley and I stopped there while traveling in our TR6 several years ago. Many great cars on display and many of them I had never seen or even heard of before.

Safe trip mind the eclipse seekers. I understand they are already clogging the roads.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Getting pretty close to my part of the country. Madison, WI area. Got a few car things going on the next few days starting with a visit to the Ring Brothers shop for a tour. https://ringbrothers.com/ A car show Saturday and a tour on Sunday all in that TR6 I have been restoring. And it runs great.

I also encourage visiting the Lane Museum in Nashville. Shirley and I stopped there while traveling in our TR6 several years ago. Many great cars on display and many of them I had never seen or even heard of before.

Safe trip mind the eclipse seekers. I understand they are already clogging the roads.

Nice...get some pics with the bridges!

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Although I haven't been, the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville looks interesting.

I have been up and down those roads a few times, but it seems I'm always in a hurry to get somewhere. I only stop at the destination, unless I break down. I'd like to hear about your road trip.

I can recommend hitting the Lane if you have half a chance by spending an extra day or so in Nashville as they are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They have a rather eclectic collection. One of their newer displays is devoted to microcars. When Bruce Weiner closed his microcar museum in Madison GA, the Lane bought several of those cars at the auction and with the ones they already had, they now have something on the order of fifty to sixty some odd microcars in their collection. What about Czech? Yep. French? I can't remember the last time I saw so many Citroens in one place. You want British, they have some of them too, but not much in the way of Triumphs unless they have picked some up since the last time I was in there. Then there are the one offs that they have. Definitely worth hitting if you are in neighborhood and have the time.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
And if you make it to The Lane, opt to spend the extra asking price to take the guided tour of the basement. You'll love it...great museum for a car guy.

This is a Toyota.

80326398-9502-4A33-BAEC-D7E62B63A68A-1592-000000F3E3F04053_zps22adf197.jpg

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
We made it to Genoa City early enough to get up with Steve (Jims brother) and load the car. We spent about 21/2 hours with Steve and his lovely wife Pat and it was emotional to say the least, but it's all part of the process...great people to say the least! I've got a few pictures and the first is of Steve and yours truly and the second is of my lovely and tolerant wife Jo and my ugly mug again. We head out to Louisville early tomorrow morning and we might even see the eclipse. More pictures to come once we make it home and I get a chance to sort everything out...lots of spares!
Rut

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 91
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Marv,
Made it home safe and sound and had to remove the seats, runners, carpet and padding to dry it out. We got caught in a thunderstorm just outside of Birmingham and the drivers window had not been installed yet, so lots of water. I've got it parked under cover and the truck is loaded with the powder coated 4a frame, hard top, crates of restored parts, and a soft top frame, all headed to the farm for storage. Desert TR has some work left to do, but Jim did lots of good restoration in his short life...I even have the Heritage Certificate from 1987, registration and insurance cards!
Rut